• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1965 deuce only 6x6 in first gear?

kaiser m35

hello ive have traid to search the subjekt but cant fin anything on it!
the rig is a 1965 kaiser m35 multifuel it appers that i only have 6x6 in first gear low range. is this rigth? i only have one leverer high and low. way dosent the 6x6 work in all the low gears. is it somthing wrong whit my transfer case/front axel...

cheers from norway.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Front axle engagement and TC in high/low speed are two totally independent functions so there is no explanation for "6x6 only in first gear low range".
On the other hand if yours is a sprag TC and the linkage is frozen or not correctly adjusted you could very well have a situation where the front axle only gets traction while the transmission is in first gear. Maybe that's what you meant with "1st gear low range"?
If so I recommend searching for sprag adjustment and you will find lots of info and also a sticky on this. Specially read http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=22441&highlight=Sprag+adjustment

Gerhard

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
He can probably only get the rears axles to spin faster than the front in 1st gear low. Thats probably why he worded it like that.

CurryRA

I've got a 67' with the sprague type transfer case and I'm suffering a similar problem if not worse. In my case, no torque is being sent forward to the rear axle in any gears. No 6x6 when I am stuck in snow=NO FUN There is a very detailed adjustment procedure in the TM's and to do it right you'll need someone to help you. I gave up went with an airshift transfer case unit which I found pretty close. to where I'm at. Got snow in Norway?:-D

Verkstad

Hej !
Kaiser M35,
Hälsningnar från Alberta Kanada !

Tyvärr, jag känner inte mycket om USA M-serie.
Jag kör Dodge Powerwagon och UNIMOG fordonen.

Lycka till!
Jakob

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Is your truck a M621? If so, the front axles are engage via an air switch beneath the dashboard. I believe it is the center of the three switches - the switch on the right locks the rear differentials, and the one on the left locks the front differential. The lever in the floor only controls the transfer case speed. If you have not already found copies, you should locate TH 9-2320-205/209-10 published 1972 by Haerens Forsyningskommando

If the truck you have is not a M621, or if the air switch is working properly, but all-wheel drive isn't, write agaiin.

Regards,
David Doyle

kaiser m35

Is your truck a M621? If so, the front axles are engage via an air switch beneath the dashboard. I believe it is the center of the three switches - the switch on the right locks the rear differentials, and the one on the left locks the front differential. The lever in the floor only controls the transfer case speed. If you have not already found copies, you should locate TH 9-2320-205/209-10 published 1972 by Haerens Forsyningskommando

If the truck you have is not a M621, or if the air switch is working properly, but all-wheel drive isn't, write agaiin.

Regards,
David Doyle
no its not the m621. it is ann m35 whit dual weels out back.
i will try to explaine this better.i have 6x6 in first gear lowrange and reverse thats all. any ohter gears i only have power inn secon and third axel. the front axel does not engage in this gears.strange i think.the truck has bad tread wear on front weels. like new on the rear. i whil bay 2 new tiers up front on monday.can this be the case?!?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When in first and reverse, the linkage is moved to the sprag, engaging the transfer case. If it only works in those two gears, sounds like the linkage is being held in place in those two gears, and moving back to neutral in the other gears.

Is there a detent ball that holds the transfer case rod in place(for the sprag engagement)? Maybe it's stuck, and not holding the rod in place.

Dennis

Last edited:

oddnor

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transfer

Hei

You have an sprag unit transfer on your truck, only 6x6 in low, 1 and . gears.

It's easy to feel on the steering when it's engage , when you go to first,

No 6x6 any way , most resent that the sprag unit is gone, this unit goes before the front axle.

TM 9-2520-246-34 and 34P is the manuals fore this

(TM-9-2520-246-34-1)

The normal use fore the trucks with sprag, is to set in reverse after use of the front axle, it can hold and slip with a break as hell, when disengage.
And some times the sprag goes with.

Odd

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks