• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1967 Kaiser Deuce Newbie Purchase

FloridaAKM

I have a friend who is a new member here that is buying his first time Deuce. The truck is a Kaiser-Jeep unit with clear Florida title that runs well according to the owner. It has 15K miles, a hard top, rebuilt brake cylinders with one still seeping, a new clutch pressure plate, good tires (w/ weather checking) & all standard filters. The asking price was $4500.00 obo from the seller & the truck was 35 miles to recover if purchased. He needed a little more info from the experts here, so I am posting this for him to read. Any help will be appreciated by him! [thumbzup]

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what does he need to know ? If all the wheel cylinders were rebuilt and one is still leaking I would question the quality of the work . Figure on re-doing the brakes so you know it is done correctly .

FloridaAKM

His questions that I couldn't answer were about the air shifter for the front axles & whether the rear differentials are limited slip or locked together all the time. I don't know enough to inform him on these issues of the late 60's Kaiser-Jeep trucks. My AM General Deuce has the air shifter for the front axles in the transfer case & the rear axles are tied together by the driveshaft between them.

I'll let him do the rest of his posting questions himself!

He will have to post the picts also as I have never seen the truck in person.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
His questions that I couldn't answer were about the air shifter for the front axles & whether the rear differentials are limited slip or locked together all the time. I don't know enough to inform him on these issues of the late 60's Kaiser-Jeep trucks. My AM General Deuce has the air shifter for the front axles in the transfer case & the rear axles are tied together by the driveshaft between them.

I'll let him do the rest of his posting questions himself!

He will have to post the picts also as I have never seen the truck in person.
You should have him read the -10 TM it will answer most of his questions
TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-1 Operation, Installation and Reference data for the M35 series, Operator Level.

And have him print this out for when he inspects it .
GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf M35 complete diagram of with descriptions of all components.

hochimin

i am the newbie screen name hochimin,new to the site,i was just wondering if a 67 kaeiser is a good one some of my friends have newer ones from the 70s or 80s before i make the deal

RAYZER

Most deuces are the Same. However, one desirable upgrade would be an air shift transfer case instead of the old sprag transfer case.
Most likely this truck does not have lockers.

Last edited:

GrizzlyEater

My 67 Kaiser is amazing! Just got back from northern Minnesota. 198 mile round trip with no problems. Air for front axle is a must (especially here for snow) depending on condition sounds like a heck of a buy.

An air shift is nice but my truck has a Sprag type transfer case and it works just fine even in the snow. A Sprag transfer case should not be a deal beaker as long as it is in working order.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The day of the 1000 dollar deuce is long over. A lot of them were cut up for the axles or abused to death in mudding events.

In my opinion 4500 is a good price for a good runner with a hardtop (and I have bought/sold/traded a lot of deuces).

There was a time when you could get a good 900 series 5 ton for that money but it looks like that is over now.

I agree that if there is still a wheel cylinder leaking someone didn't do their due diligence.

Air shift allows you to anticipate trouble and lock the front end in prior to hitting a bad spot but a Sprague will save your bacon.

Expect to spend a few thousand over the next few years for upgrades, maintainance, etc.

Since you are in Florida make sure you can park your prize without running afoul of local zoning.

If you are under 23 make sure you have insurance lined up before you buy or you may get sticker shock.

FloridaAKM

I got a picture of the Deuce on my phone from him, so I think the deal is done. Again, he needs to post these things since it is his truck & a new comer here. The truck looks very good from my view, so we can wait a day for some pictures.

He got it & drove it home with no issues other than having a rough cold... now we wait! :popcorn:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks