• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1968 amg m35a2 m66 gun ring install help

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M49 is a complicated apparatus. Not something you can just easily machine. You need to look for a ring and poles - they aren't that hard to find.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well, my thoughts on gun mounts on trucks from real time need to use, the loaded mount is the FIRST target, the UNloaded mount is the second target because it is "assumed" by the attacker that there IS a weapon in the cab that can be fitted to the mount. People say "that is in a war time situation, that is NOT now", the way the world is going, the "NOT now" CAN change in a heart beat to NOW which inturn WOULD make the truck with a loaded or unloaded weapon mount a PRIME target.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah.this is a 2012 post ???
It was dredged back up in September and I just wanted to make sure they knew that a cab reinforcement panel was a good idea. Even without a ring mount the cab brace is a good idea. Just where would you get one?? Where would somebody find something like that (new, in the box) to put in their truck? One of those things that makes you go "hmmm."

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cab reinforcement plates are not that hard to come by. NOS ones are on Ebay occasionally and sometimes custom made ones. I have an extra NOS one I picked up for $50.00 a few years back, but plan to hang onto it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cab reinforcement plates are not that hard to come by. NOS ones are on Ebay occasionally and sometimes custom made ones. I have an extra NOS one I picked up for $50.00 a few years back, but plan to hang onto it.
I have a stack of them in the classifieds also new in the box. They're not $50 though.

Terry Rogers

Is there anyway I could find schematics M-66 gun turret ring and mouth system. I have a fabricated that's willing to build me one but I just can't find the paperwork any ideas. I'd love to complete my m35a 2.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have downloaded a copy of TM 9-1005-245-14 manual from 1973.

The great thing about this edition is that, starting on page 9, there is a series of illustrations of the different models of the time!! Starting with the M36, there are eleven ring mounts shown.

If anyone wants a copy, contact me; it's a pdfslide.net file which can be opened in Adobe. I tried to re-use the link, but it expires so no go. It's just under 6 megs.

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blisters, Your truck had a M49 mount on it at one time, fired M1919 from it. Find any links in the cab? If your copy is PDF, it can be uploadedto the TM section.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received a trolley for the M44 (M36?) ring; it was missing the four side wheels which are removed and reinstalled when removing/replacing the trolley, and it was missing two bottom wheels.

The wheels are actually common bearings.

I made four replacement bolts (out of 5/8" bolts, turned down and rethreaded), two missing bottom wheel pins, and bought the six "wheels".

IMG_8069.jpg

IMG_8065_web.jpg
As can be seen, a 1/2" bolt will not have a large-enough diameter to seat the bearing inner bore.
A 9/16" bolt will still be too small. Possibly a 1/2"-20 bolt with appropriate bushings could be used.
Of course, if they can be found, the proper bolts would be best.

IMG_8060_web.jpg
Here, I'm checking the fit (bottom view). It's a little tight in some spots (doesn't want to roll through) so thorough rust removal is indicated.

As may be noted by experienced people, I also made the missing bottom clamping bolt/handle. Standard 1/2"-20 nuts thread onto the "wheel" bolts.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just realized I have highjacked this thread- I've been posting about the M49 ring which is NOT what this is about (duh).

I will start a new thread specifically about the M49.

Apologies!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks