• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1970 2.5 ton m35a2 oil leak on driver side leaf

welldigger

That's definitely the steering box leaking. You can see it running down the inside of the frame.

Run by a John deere tractor dealership and pick up 4 tubes of corn head grease. You will use 3.5 tubes to fill the steering box.

Pull the drain plug on the bottom of the steering gear. Then you will need a Zirk fitting and a bushing. I think 1/8 by 3/8. Someone correct me of I'm wrong on that.

Allow remain gear oil to drain from the steering gear. Then thread the bushing/zirk fitting combo into the bottom hole. Then pull the fill plug on the top of the steering gear. Grab a grease gun and start pumping the cornhead grease in from the bottom until you see it coming out of the top fill hole. Then reinstall both plugs. Your steering gear is now leak free and always lubricated.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Merged your two threads. Do not post the same question in multiple places. That is called cross posting and is not allowed on this forum. It wastes everyone time as everyone will not be on the same page.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree steering box could be leaking. If it is a lot, It might be something else too. The o-rings on either side of the timing advance housing were bad on mine when I pulled mine apart to change the pump. I put new o-rings in it, installed new oil pressure lines on the pump and it helped out my oil leak issues a lot!! It barely leaves any drops of oil now.

MikeM35

That's definitely the steering box leaking. You can see it running down the inside of the frame.

Run by a John deere tractor dealership and pick up 4 tubes of corn head grease. You will use 3.5 tubes to fill the steering box.

Pull the drain plug on the bottom of the steering gear. Then you will need a Zirk fitting and a bushing. I think 1/8 by 3/8. Someone correct me of I'm wrong on that.

Allow remain gear oil to drain from the steering gear. Then thread the bushing/zirk fitting combo into the bottom hole. Then pull the fill plug on the top of the steering gear. Grab a grease gun and start pumping the cornhead grease in from the bottom until you see it coming out of the top fill hole. Then reinstall both plugs. Your steering gear is now leak free and always lubricated.

Thanks! I'll attack that today, hopefully that solves the problem!!

MikeM35

I know that you said "cornhead grease".... But I have an abundance of white lithium grease is that acceptable, or should I steer clear? Thanks guys!

welldigger

I know that you said "cornhead grease".... But I have an abundance of white lithium grease is that acceptable, or should I steer clear? Thanks guys!
Absolutely not!!!!! Cornhead grease and similar type greases are what's called a flowable grease. Meaning it is semi-fluid. It will refill any cavities created by the movement of the gears inside the steering box.

White lithium grease is designed to stay in place. Meaning once you steer the truck it will push the grease out of the gears and it won't flow back into the void that was created.

rustystud

Dawn, a spray bottle and a cheap LP spray washer is your friend to find leaks
Dawn cleans ducks and Deuces really good.
Yes, a good dish wash soap will help in getting the grease off. I also use "Simple Green" cleaner afterwards. Now if it is really greasy, I use "Brake Klean" and spray down the engine. We used to call it "steam cleaner in a can" at work. Any good brake cleaner will work. Then go after it with some "Simple Green" .

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Have we all seen the video yet, and there is quite a
few of them about the CH grease.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zNhli-J0Gk

google what a corn head is part of a machine and you will see why the grease is good,
its not really grease, it is not really oil.
Formulated for John Deere corn head and other slow-speed gear cases
-30 to 330 F (-34 to 165 C)
Extra-soft grade of lubricating grease, required for row-unit gear cases of John Deere corn heads
Service rating:
NLGI grade 0
JDMJ13A5, J13E6, and J25A
Physical properties:
Green color
Contains extreme-pressure additives
Excellent at high and low temperatures
Resists moisture and water washout
Polyurea thickened
Contains anti-rust properties
14-oz. tube compatible with most grease guns
Also available in 35-lb pail