• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1970 m35a2c

Crackerjax

just got one quick questions ... top speed seems to be 42mph on strait away is there a limiter? because it wont go over 2k execpt for down hill ,next the wheels hubs seem quite hot on all drive axles. the front axles are a little warm but normal. this is after 2.5 hours strait of driving is this normal or do I have to repack berings? last owner said this was done just before I bought it and he deals in military surplus.

thanks in advance

Josh

scooter01922

Yup, should pull past 55, not that you want it to go that fast but it should be able to if its not lacking in some area. I'm guessing fuel filters. How warm are the axles??? too hot to touch?

Crackerjax

should I unscrew the cans or just drain them? ... and as for the wheel hubs I wouldent keep my hand on them for more than 1 sec its real hot I need to get an Ir meater and measure them when I can

Crackerjax

well it was a "fun" night, i attempted to turn off the motor with the pull and the handle came out with the wire attatched...so i had to reach into a running motor and pull the cutoff by hand and re attatch thr cable.. on the speed note there seems to be a bolt or piece of round stock about 2 inches long not letting the throttle go down all the way im guessing this was done to keep people from speeding? i will remove said rod tommrow.. i got the orgional build sheet for the truck and it says the govt paid 58xxx.xxx somthing dollars in 1970 cash...now another problem the fuel sensor has been disconnected so says the fuel filter... i have to figure out how to re attatch and make it work.. any ideas?

thanks

josh

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check how far the throttle moves on the IP pump, then unhook the throttle shaft and see if you get more travel. Don't take the bolt out, you should be able to adjust the throttle rod to get full throttle with the bolt in.

Adjust it so you just barley get full throttle when your touching the bolt inside the cab. If you take out the bolt, you can bend the rod, or break the IP where the rod hooks up.

tm america

change the filters first .i wouldnt hook the fdc back up it is probably leaking .plus running it without gives you more power .check for kinked fuel lines under the radiator.other than that you might have a problem with the gov

Crackerjax

well throttle linkage is good..filters are good fuel lines are good guess its the gov? how do i adjust that and i guess i have to crank up the fuel to overcome the slugishness i know she aint a race car but takes forever to get to 35 on flat ground....

thanks
josh

Crackerjax

i pulled them out 3 of them didnt look clogged should i replace them anyways? if so can i gt them from napa? one note dont forget to close the petcock before starting motor....fuel cleanup time...

scooter01922

Even if they look Ok i would change em, cheap money to rule them out as the issue. Its by far the most common issue with lack of power. Yes you can get them at NAPA. Can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, lemme go check the cross ref chart for ya

scooter01922

Oh yeah, DON'T remove the stop in the floor. If you do the linkage can go past the point where it returns and the throttle will stick wide open. And i'm sure you don't want that.

Crackerjax

well I am going to napa tommrow hopefully I can reuse the oring and just get a filter.. I need to drive the truck... if the filter is not around and I have to order them can I run the truck with no primary? I hope this helps .. as far as the t case its in high the motor wont even rev over 2k .. if there is a gov where is it located??

and as for the fuel compensator if it is leaky can it be rebuilt and is there directions on how to rehook it up to check for leaks I can keep it unhooked for more power or just turn up the fuel but I would like the option of multifuel if needed , a buddy of mines owns a transmission shop and hes got 55 gal drums full of atf that he pulls out I can pump it all though filters and mix it with fuel and pour it in I figured 2 parts aft to 1 part fuel should work? this truck sure is diffrent than any other vehicle that I have worked on but its definitly worth the time and she drives great and looks as new as it came from the factory

thanks for all your help everyone and making me feel so welcome if any of you are in NC near me let me know we can plan something

thanks

Josh

scooter01922

More likely than not they will have the primary and not the secondarys in stock. I personally woudn't run it without all the filters in place but thats your call. The o rings are prob OK for another go just check em real well before you take off on a drive. The gov is built into the IP, its not an external gadget you can really see, honestly i haven't ever had to mess with one, nor have i read of anyone that has. Now on to the controversial question, the compensator...... for the most part i think 90% of the site agrees that you DO NOT need it hooked up to run anything you damn well please for fuel. The other 10% is off in bizarro world IMO, the truck will run fine with filtered ATF. The only difference will be in power, the compensator kept power constant by adjusting how much is injected into the cyl every time it fires. You are doing the same exact thing with your right foot. All i'm saying is that it may take more or less petal to get the same power depending on your fuel mix. Thats really all it does, no more no less. 2 parts ATF to 1 part diesel ought work fine, but just remember that if you turn the fuel up at all ATF burns hotter then diesel. Don't want to see you cook something inadvertantly. Before messing with the fuel setting it is widely advised to install a pyrometer. Oh, one last thing. You have checked the copper fuel line where it crosses the front frame member , right??? By virtue of its location is seems to get squashed flat and impedes fuel flow bigtime.

Crackerjax

well I replaced the primary it ran like a top for about 2 miles untill it got clogged again I guess it was dark and I didnt take that good of a look at it, in the daytime its all black and gel buildup. I am guessing I have to fluch and clean the tank to get all the gunk out and filter all the fuel I have in it as to not waste it. I have ordered the secondarys and will replace them after the tank has been cleaned.. how do you clean a tank real well?? I was thinking drain all the fuel the remove the sender unit and pump then somehow powerwash the tank and let it dry and refill with fuel and new filters or is there a better way?? I checked the line your talking about its good I had to fix some wires under there because the high beams were shorting out causing fireworks that problem is now fixed but it looks as if the wire covers are starting to dry and crack around all the wires... oh well I knew it was gonna be work so im game

thanks

Josh

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks