• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1970 M813 Need Steering Gear Help

jwj438

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking for some help diagnosing my Steering problems. I have a 1970 M813 with a Ross / TRW steering ger casing Number HF642989. It has just under 1/2 turn of play in the input shaft and looked like its leaking form the input shaft too. Possibly also leaking form the output. I don't really want to spend $2K on a new one I'd rather rebuild it myself or just adjust it and replace a seal or two if that's what it needs. Anyone have info on the adjustment limits or parts sources for rebuild parts?
ut nothing that
I have found threads on removal and some minor repairs but nothing that goes as deep as I think I have too.

Thanks
Jim

162tcat

I was able to adjust mine and get all of the play out of it. I think there's a thread on it somewhere, I'll try and look it up later. My leaks a little but it's working great so the excess is just rust prevention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwj438

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the reply. Any info would help. I did adjust the screw on the top of the gear (directly above the output shaft) as far in as it would go and no difference in slop.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have repair & adjustment info for a Ross HF64 steering gear from a Ford truck shop manual. I don't know what the differences are between yours and this one but they appear similar and it may be close enough.

20190615_095040.jpg 20190615_095059.jpg 20190615_095116.jpg 20190615_095136.jpg 20190615_095148.jpg 20190615_095158.jpg

If these don't enlarge enough to read I could take pictures a half page at a time.

timgc78

Looking for some help diagnosing my Steering problems. I have a 1970 M813 with a Ross / TRW steering ger casing Number HF642989. It has just under 1/2 turn of play in the input shaft and looked like its leaking form the input shaft too. Possibly also leaking form the output. I don't really want to spend $2K on a new one I'd rather rebuild it myself or just adjust it and replace a seal or two if that's what it needs. Anyone have info on the adjustment limits or parts sources for rebuild parts?
ut nothing that
I have found threads on removal and some minor repairs but nothing that goes as deep as I think I have too.

Thanks
Jim
Sir I have about the same issue with my gear box leaking at the input shaft. Did you find a solution to fix your leak?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks