• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1971 m35a2 lights cut out

Mud Hugger

As title states, while driving my duece after dark where lights are needed obviously. After a short time 5-8mins all lights will go out. Nota zip silch, head lights, turn signals dash lights nothing works. And as I slow don't as fast as possible while trying to make out the road by moon light, around 15secs they will come back on and everything works. Ok now for the mods nothing to abnormal, 395s, belt driven hydro pump to run scissor hoist for dump bed, as far as electrical goes the only change was I replaced the huge bulky generator with a 24volt 1 wire alternator. Reason for that was the generator died and was unrepeatable for less that the cost of the 1 wire alt ($95). Is there a relay and external regulator somewhere in the system that I need to replace romove or whatever?? And thoughts or advice that could possible shine some light on the problem would be veryAppreciated.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You have a short, the circuit breaker is dropping out, when it cools down it closes the circuit for lights till it gets hot and drops out

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also the circuit breaker in the 3 lever switch can be weak. Replace the switch and your problem may go away.

Mud Hugger

I will give things a look over, I will start in the rear where I built hinge plate/hitch. Maybe I screwed up something and didnt realize it. Thanks guys I'll let you know if I find something.

Al Harvey

Do the gauges drop off with the lights? If so it could be a ground connection problem somewhere. One of my dueces has a similar problem but the lights dim then nothing works but periodically will come back on. I think it's a ground but haven't had a chance to check. Also on my M151A2 everything cut out once and found out it was a battery that moved and grounded out. Just something else to check.

Al Harvey

Not just the dash lights but the actual gauges. Does you battery, oil pressure, coolant, etc cut out or is it just the lights?

DeucesWild11

Sounds like a ground problem to me. Does it do it regularly, meaning it pops back on every time? If it's random it could be a ground if it comes back on regularly it could be as 73M819 said.

Mine went out once, so I added some extra driving lights to an AUX switch on the dash. It's never happened again to me (especially since I bought a new switch and didn't install), but it's nice to know I have the driving lights for emergency incase they ever go out again.

Mud Hugger

Sounds like a ground problem to me. Does it do it regularly, meaning it pops back on every time? If it's random it could be a ground if it comes back on regularly it could be as 73M819 said.Mine went out once, so I added some extra driving lights to an AUX switch on the dash. It's never happened again to me (especially since I bought a new switch and didn't install), but it's nice to know I have the driving lights for emergency incase they ever go out again.
I don't drive it offen in dark, the sun does set around here a lot earlier now adays. I was thinking of doing just what youSay and put some backup driving lights on the rig. Getting some snow up here and dang salt trucks are out I think so rig may get winterized and into storage but would like to get this figured out. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks