• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1971 M818 5 Ton Starting issues

818 Test Pilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well haven't had to open my 1971 M818 Hood for years. Always started Always Ran fine. ok... question: My M818 Cummins have Glow Plugs? read that Cummins don't have glow plugs but a Heater Grid ? are these on newer Cumins or used on all Cummins. I know there's the one glow plug mounted on the intake side that is controlled by the switch on dashboard for starts. removed original years back. was inop. bought new one and haven't installed yet. thing is ol betsy started for years without plug. 2 Batteries are going on close to eight years old. engine doesn't turn over as quick maybe because of batts. Note: OIF1 logged in a bit more than 20,000 miles in 818s. the weakest part of the M818 I had was transfer cases went south. cargo strapped transfer case lever thru back window to spare tire frame to arrive at fob. never let enemy have my vehicles. usually by the time a unit goes to retrieve with a tow truck or hemmit next day everything mechanical is gone. always got issued a operational M818 for next mission. 931's were underpowered super singled junk.

Ajax MD

There are no "glow plugs" on the NHC250. As you said, there is just the one hot plug for very cold weather starts.
The procedure on the dash data plates explains how to use it in conjunction with the hand operated fuel pump on the dash. The burning diesel pre-warms the intake chamber for easier starting. There's not even a heater grid that I'm aware of.

Yes, if the batteries are getting tired and spinning the engine more slowly, getting up to combustion pressure will make starting more difficult. I guess I'd start there and see if starting improves.

818 Test Pilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tanks for the Glow Plug answer. Yup never ever used that Prime T handle on dash in 25 years of driving Army Trucks or the Glow Plug Heat Switch. Maybe I’m overdue now that the Truck I’m driving now relies on Me to maintain. Have no idea where I stashed the Plug I bought years ago from O’ Reillys. Ohh and one more detail I tried t handle primer and didn’t prime. The petcock under hood was closed. Usually don’t publically announce things like this. Have built Turbine engines GM Engines ect. Hoo Ah.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself whenever any 809 series I had and was known to run but I then had problems with starting I would first run in the thumb screw.
If that was not the problem then I moved on.
PS, I always check the emergency stop was pulled and not reset.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well haven't had to open my 1971 M818 Hood for years. Always started Always Ran fine. ok... question: My M818 Cummins have Glow Plugs? read that Cummins don't have glow plugs but a Heater Grid ? are these on newer Cumins or used on all Cummins. I know there's the one glow plug mounted on the intake side that is controlled by the switch on dashboard for starts. removed original years back. was inop. bought new one and haven't installed yet. thing is ol betsy started for years without plug. 2 Batteries are going on close to eight years old. engine doesn't turn over as quick maybe because of batts. Note: OIF1 logged in a bit more than 20,000 miles in 818s. the weakest part of the M818 I had was transfer cases went south. cargo strapped transfer case lever thru back window to spare tire frame to arrive at fob. never let enemy have my vehicles. usually by the time a unit goes to retrieve with a tow truck or hemmit next day everything mechanical is gone. always got issued a operational M818 for next mission. 931's were underpowered super singled junk.
When was the last the fuel filters were changed ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks