• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1972 M35A2/ Bobbed Deuce and a half

bimmeraudi

Hello I have joined the M35A2 club, or have I? I purchased a fully restored bobbed deuce and a half a few weeks ago. The truck is great. Everything works, except the temp gauge (easy fix), however everything else is awesome. It has above 43000 miles on the odometer, and i've driven it 300 worry free miles since I purchased it. I started off by mentioning if i've really been welcomed to the club (since i bought a bobbed deuce). I've come to find out that some purist may find it sacrilegious to own a bobbed deuce. I'm hoping to be educated on all the details. I'm still trying to figure out all the rules of this site, if this question has been previously addressed, I apologize.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The shorty deuces have their place. What info are you looking for? Not a whole lot of details to offer, that should have been gotten from the creator of the truck.

bimmeraudi

The shorty deuces have their place. What info are you looking for? Not a whole lot of details to offer, that should have been gotten from the creator of the truck.
Thanks for the reply. My first task is to figure out what model M35A2 I have. Not sure if I have the C or D. I'm guessing in have the 'D'. The interior data plate is NK02D3-72 stock# 2320 077 1617
Engine: serial# 210455
Not sure if this means anything.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

18operator

Welcome from Ohio. Nice looking truck, seems to be missing an axle. That's ok though. Is the C or D you're referring to the turbo?

bimmeraudi

Welcome from Ohio. Nice looking truck, seems to be missing an axle. That's ok though. Is the C or D you're referring to the turbo?
Lol I'm sure I'll be catching heat on that missing axle for a while. I'm able fit into parking spots better than my buddy's dually, so I'll take it. As for the C or D, I heard there are slight differences. It whistles but I don't know the difference. I was told the D has improved head gaskets and better turbo.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the reply. My first task is to figure out what model M35A2 I have. Not sure if I have the C or D. I'm guessing in have the 'D'.
The way the military ID'd some of this stuff is confusing.

You have an M35A2. An M35A2C has a dropside bed.

There are C and D turbos. An M35A2 can have either.

Here are some threads that will help you identify the different turbos:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?4808-How-to-identify-whistler-turbo

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?142902-Turbo-identification

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?61801-Turbo-part-number-ID

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?23450-Identify-turbo

Come join us in October: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...tary-Vehicle-Rally-info-thread-Oct-17-21-2018

We'll tell you what turbo you have, what time of the day it is and you'll meet all the important people. :)

tobyS

You bought a good looking truck. How is the steering with that large a tire? What size tires are on it, are they 15.5. I have an A3 that is becoming a 4x4 but not shortened, will probably go 395's.

Enjoy!

rustystud

Lol I'm sure I'll be catching heat on that missing axle for a while. I'm able fit into parking spots better than my buddy's dually, so I'll take it. As for the C or D, I heard there are slight differences. It whistles but I don't know the difference. I was told the D has improved head gaskets and better turbo.

I own several deuces, but someday I plan to make one into a "bobber" just to play in the woods ! It's pretty hard to avoid all the trees around here with a full size deuce. So don't worry about the "naysayers" . It's your truck, enjoy it !

bimmeraudi

You bought a good looking truck. How is the steering with that large a tire? What size tires are on it, are they 15.5. I have an A3 that is becoming a 4x4 but not shortened, will probably go 395's.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the compliment on the truck. I get more looks in this truck than if I were driving an exotic car lol. The steering is great! It turns well even without power steering. While stationary, it does take some effort to turn, but everything changes while in motion. I cruise at 65 mph on the highway without exceeding 2000 rpms. Thats way better than 45 mph compared to the stock configuration. I do have 395×20 tires, I think that's 46" Michelin. They run smooth and I steer with one hand while rolling. I don't see any down sides to having a Bobbed Deuce at the moment.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you read the numbers on the plate, on the engine? (the plate is on the passenger side of the engine, should be able to see it easily with the hood up)

If you can have a conversation while the engine is running, it's probably a D turbo.

If you want to learn a little bit, read the Wikipedia entry. If you want to learn a lot, read the manual and spend lots of time on this site.

bimmeraudi

Can you read the numbers on the plate, on the engine? (the plate is on the passenger side of the engine, should be able to see it easily with the hood up)

If you can have a conversation while the engine is running, it's probably a D turbo.

If you want to learn a little bit, read the Wikipedia entry. If you want to learn a lot, read the manual and spend lots of time on this site.
I attached a photo of the engine data plate. I've done some research but can't seem to find those numbers. Maybe the engine was previously overhauled.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I attached a photo of the engine data plate. I've done some research but can't seem to find those numbers. Maybe the engine was previously overhauled.

LOL, the rebuilder took the original data plate off and replaced it with the rebuild plate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks