• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1975 M54A1C WO/W Cranks Good But No Start

twntrbo0424

Gentlemen,
I have been a long time lurker, first time poster. I just bought the 5 ton shown above and have run into a perplexing problem with no fuel,
I am fairly good with vehicle repair and maintenance (40+ years). I put two new batteries in truck and ran electric pump several minutes then started. It
started immediately and sounded great, no abnormal engine sounds or excessive smoke. I thought I was very lucky, but short lived, the previous owners had bypassed the in tank pump and put an inline pump and water separator/filter prior to the large spin on filters. The water separator/filter was severely clogged and fuel starved the mechanical pump. I have replaced all three filters and verified fuel flow to injector pump, but no fuel at injectors (I opened fuel line at injector) after much searching on S.S. I thought maybe the hydraulic head had gotten stuck, I removed the 3/4 plug from and put a pencil in the opening and cranked engine the pencil did cycle up and down. I thought that eliminated that possibility and pulled the manual fuel shut off cover the verify the shut off was not stuck closed, it moved freely and returned to the open position.
I have been kicking myself in the ass for a week now for not putting new filters in before attempting start.
Any other recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Ray
571-239-5570

Attachments

Last edited:

AZDeuce

If you now have fuel up to your injection pump, get soldier B to crank the engine with the throttle pedal pushed fully to the floor while you undo the Fuel line feeding injector # 1, once you get fuel spray, tighten the fuel line nut shut, THEN, stop cranking, do this to all 6 injectors, I did this years ago, and that's how I got my 5-ton (multi-fuel) running, should work for you. Are you sure that it's a A1? that should have a really big straight diesel Mack engine in it. You injector pump looks a lot like one on a multi-fuel engine, but I could be wrong, I've owned two multi-fuel trucks but never a Mack engined one. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

twntrbo0424

Removed Hydraulic Head

IMG_0738.jpgIMG_0737.jpgIMG_0736.jpg
I removed the hydraulic head today and found the 3 pronged retaining clip broken and the button both in the top of the IP.
I contacted AMBAC and talked with Melody (Very Helpful) and ordered several clips and oring kit.
Hopefully they will arrive by this weekend.
Is there anything else I should be looking for while it is apart ?
Ray