• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1977 Dodge M880 Power Steering conversion?

NeslundB

Hey all.
Recently my manual steering box has been cooked, so I'm on the hunt to convert to power steering. I found a pump and got it all hooked up and ready to roll, and I had AutoZone order me a remanned power steering gear box. It turns out that the input and output on the power steering gear box are thousandths of an inch bigger than my manual steering box. Anyone have any ideas of where to get the right power steering gear so I don't have to bore holes in my frame and rerun my drag link and everything?
Thanks, Ben

N1265

Some of these trucks have a reverse, and some have a standard rotation gear box. you need the one that mounts on the plate and has the pitman arm pointing down like the manual box. How many thousandths of an inch are we talking ?

NeslundB

I can't remember, but it was just hairs off. The whole power steering box was right, just the input and output. It would bolt up right, and it was reverse rotation just as I needed, but the input and output were too big for the pitman arm and rag joint.

NeslundB

I got it all figured out. I went to my AutoZone again and just for the S&G's the manager ordered me a power steering box for a 1978 D300 and it was it. He found a random dodge pitman arm that hooked up to it, but it was different than mine, so what my dad and I did was cut the hole of the new pitman arm off and cut the hole of my old pitman arm off at the correct angle, welded the new hole onto the old arm, and she hooked right up. power steering works like a charm.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got it all figured out. I went to my AutoZone again and just for the S&G's the manager ordered me a power steering box for a 1978 D300 and it was it. He found a random dodge pitman arm that hooked up to it, but it was different than mine, so what my dad and I did was cut the hole of the new pitman arm off and cut the hole of my old pitman arm off at the correct angle, welded the new hole onto the old arm, and she hooked right up. power steering works like a charm.

Interesting mix of parts.............
the M880's had a reverse rotation steering box (all W series pickups through 1977)
a D300 as well as the 78 & up W series have a standard rotation boxes.

nattieleather

Anybody know the size of the nut that holds the pitman arm onto the gear box is? I'm doing a from scratch installation and therefore have to supply my own nut and therefore I need the thread size. Any help would be well helpful! Thanks, Joe

Psychowolff

1-5/16" hex; 7/16" width; 7/8"-14 thread.

G.
You seem to know quite a bit, Nice to know those with an Encyclopedic memory ;-) Mind if i Give you a quick test?? Will the PS pump/gear box from a '77 red wagon/warlock fit my M880?

I know there are 'differences' between the D and W models, just not getting decent returns on searches. I'm in Minnesota, we just climbed out of -25 temps, She started up Every day! (but would rather be warm!)

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You seem to know quite a bit, Nice to know those with an Encyclopedic memory ;-) Mind if i Give you a quick test?? Will the PS pump/gear box from a '77 red wagon/warlock fit my M880?

I know there are 'differences' between the D and W models, just not getting decent returns on searches. I'm in Minnesota, we just climbed out of -25 temps, She started up Every day! (but would rather be warm!)
Yep.
75 to 77 W series have same boxes as the M880
Red Express was 2wd & Warlock was 4wd

Last edited:

Psychowolff

I wish I would have seen this earlier. I would have given you the parts You needed.
You are in Luck! The W100 is a 78 so it is the wrong box, the warlock (nice dash, bucket seats, Misc but a 318 not the 360) is providing a lot of my interior needs but my brothers 880 is still the stock steering. He has gotten used to it over the past 70K miles but once he drives mine, I'm sure he will rethink not having it. :driver:

Mine is a FD reclaim (as is the new one i just got) while His is from the military with the CARC paint camo on it.

I have looked in the 'junkyard forum' but didn't see anything near Central MN. do you know of any? it doesn't have to be military, just older vehicles. So many were crushed when the price of steel went up. :-(

Psychowolff

I could use a 360 with the 4WD tranny to rebuild and swap out if you know where i could source one. I just don't like having my truck out of commision. :)

Psychowolff

I know there is a PS Pump&box in the 78 I'm going to tear apart, I can't use it in my 77. I'll have to go visit my brother in Ohio and swing by your place with the parts I have. (his sister-in-law is nice to look at also!) I am hoping to get out to the yard next week and can let you know what model the 4spd is in that 78. I am also getting the Warlock in a day or two and should be able to let you know the condition of the steering wheel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks