• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1977 M880 cab

gerth8992

I recently bought a 1977 M880 with extensive rust damage to the cab floor and cab supports. I went to a local salvage yard and they said they had a 77 dodge pickup they would sell the cab for around 300$. Can anyone tell me what I am getting myself into by changing out a cab? and any tips would be appreciated.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the cab is from a 4x4 truck, they are different than 4x2. It is an all weekend project. A forklift would be nice. Welcome to the site!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Make sure you get a bill of sale with the vin on it. The 77 dodges I have the vin is on a decal on the drivers door jam and if you try to lift it VOID will appear. Might want to check with the DMV.

gerth8992

The guy i bought if from didn't write up a bill of sale. He just signed over the title, but i believe the title has the vin on it. And would a tractor with a front bucket be able to lift the cab instead of a forklift?

waayfast

Yep, tractor will lift it, provided you get enough height of course. I would offer some unsolicited advice here ------ I would suggest you get a chunck of 4x4 wood post(and pad it as well) long enough to go thru the cab thru the door openings and use it to hook the chain to. Keeps the sheet metal from getting bent/ scratched.

Welcome to the site

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are pretty light four people can carry one. Firewall is part of the cab also.

waayfast

Yep, I've seen people just throw a chain around it--jerk it up and throw it down then wonder why the doors don't fit and the wind whistles so bad you can't hear yourself think at anything above 45mph!
Also as stated above they really aren't too heavy-- could manhandle it in a pinch.

If you do use a tractor to lift it, make sure you have a helper on the ground to keep from having to get up and down off the tractor 700 times trying to align it by your self!
Really not a bad idea to pull the bed off also, and out of the way so you don't clang and bang the two pieces together and cause yourself even MORE body work! Plus you have access to sand blast the frame, the under side of the bed , paint everything purdy-----------------------:)

gerth8992

Thanks for all the tips. And i was planning on using rustolium ruberized undercoat for the frame and sheet metal on the bottom. Is that a good or bad idea? And all i have access to is a pressure washer, wire brush, and grinder.

Wy-m880

I have succeeded a few times getting the stickers off the door jam, needs constant heat from a heat lamp or gun id say 4 out of 5 times success the silver stays with the cab, and the clear w/ numbers peels off, id practice first on something junk, as far as cab removal, good treated 4x4 or 6x6 thru the cab and some straps to each end will do, dont forget body grounds between cab and box, :beer: other than that they are pretty easy, save rubbers, hard to find new replacements if they are good, i have a harder project ahead, lifting an ambulance (m886) to place on a 90 dodge CTD frame, want to rent a shop w/ over head crane or borrow one (slow and steady)

gerth8992

The sticker in the door jam is no good any more. The printing on it has vanished. There is however a plaque on the door that has all the manufacture information and the vin. and there is also a plaque on the dash board that has the information as well, along with some military info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks