• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1980 813 five ton (EXPERIMENTAL PROTOTYPE)

redthegreendog

Anyone herd of this before. A non liquid cooled diesel engine M813. Its for sale on ebay right now. looks real interesting. only 2 engines built like this one in the truck and one at the company that built it.

hairba11

not insulin, insulation. special synthetic high temp oil, etc

I have pics of one from springfeild IL when we picked up an 816.

it is an ugly truck. the bows were out of the top and it was stretched tight with about 20 gallons of water in it. you can see extra gauges

Attachments

Westech

CPL
huge oil cooler and huge exhaust flow. That is the only cooling of that engine. The oil used is TRUE synthetic man made oil. Not the junk you get at the auto parts store. The only other engine that uses man made oil is Jet turbines. That oil cost around 100 a quart. I have one quart that I have in my collection of Military POL's

ranchhopper

The link to the designers website has his name in the literature I am told by the owner of the truck the guy is a nice guy and has no problem explaining the concept of this engine to people who would like to know more about it.I was told by the owner the truck was serviced just before they turned it in so it has fresh oil in it.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didnt tell me much sadly.

-"improvement in fuel economy" -- how much?
-"extended life" -- how long?
-"weight reduction" -- given I admit

But it wasnt put into full scale service for a reason. Any idea what it cost to produce this unit?

saddamsnightmare

July 1st, 2010.

Gents:

It makes an M35A3 look positively elegant by comparison. An Adiabatic engine...? I know some drag racers are set up with the cooling passages filled and no radiator, but running something as heavy as a five ton that way for extended periods seems to be chancy at best... I would guess the intent was to operate in desert climates. Deutz makes several air cooled diesel engines of exceptional capacity and durability, and I have often wondered why Uncle did not choose to go down that road, as they have done well in high dust and dirt environments and almost every climate on earth..... Bet this baby really set the taxpayers back some change.....:jumpin:

joeM62

I've seen two of these guess this one was the one that came off GSA the other one was on another military site on Olive-drab.com be nice to check her out be interesting to she how she runs.

ranchhopper

It was running on straight diesel its a turbocharged 250 which would make it a 290 HP engine running hotter makes a diesel more efficient I believe they are run on heat generated by compression as far as MPG cant help you there.