• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1982 chevy diesel man xmission donor

Greenhorn

Just bought a 1985 m1028!! The plan, mod it for a 4 spd manual sm465 or a 5 spd nv4500. I found a 1982 4spd diesel 4x4 with a poor body. Other than the 24 volt eng components which will need to be changed, will this donor be a good(easy) swap out, or is there something that changed from 1982 to 1985? I thought I might pull the entire eng and xmission from one a install in other. What am I missing? Thx

Cucvnut

the civvy 6.2 is not the j code motor it has less hp and its an emissions motor the M1008/1028/1009 is not a emissions motor. if you put in a 4 speed or 5 speed you might want to look for a hydraulic clutch set up. easier to use and less wear on the leg.

Cucvnut

HAve you ever converted anon hydrulic clutch to hydro ? How is it harder to maintain?
If hydro was harder why did it become the norm for all major car makers?

Goose2448

I though you ment converting form a cable clutch. For that you would have to run the lines and plumb everything. Why is it harder to maintain vs a cable. There is a potential for leaks. You have to check clutch fluid. And it became the norm because it is better on the driver. Though it would not be diffulct to mantian it would be more work, which in my book means it is harder.

4bogginchevys

you can get a factory hydrualic sm465 out of an 80's chevy truck at a junk yard, the bell housing and such is a little different than previous stuff but it all bolts right in, and nv 4500's are all hyd. so everything is simply bolt in....where's the problem?:-D

JWNathan

Im going to have to dissagree with you Goose on the clutch. There are lots of options for hydraulic clutches out there that are simple to install and are suitable for daily driving. Going hyd. in my '63 Chev was one of the best upgrades I ever did for drivability.
-Jesse

reloader64

Those Chevrolets used a mechanical linkage to actuate the clutch, not a cable. The pivot points can wear out, so some maintenence is required, even on the mechanical clutch linkage.

Scott

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There also exists a hydraulic throwout bearing doing away with a slave. You didn't mention if the donor truck was a half, 3/4 or 1 ton. 3/4 and 1 tons will have a "J" code engine, only the half tons sport the "C" engines. As far as the military components, most were just rdened parts in the IP. The 82 engine if original will have the coarse thread injectors (only year).

rue_69

Another thing to consider is that 1982 was the first year for the 6.2 liter and I've heard alot of bad things about motors of that year. They also use a different style glow plug IIRC. I think the threads are different or something like that, and that "could" pose a problem to find replacements. Especially considering the 6.2 has a reputation for going through glow plugs like a howitzer at the battle of the bulge.

4bogginchevys

Another thing to consider is that 1982 was the first year for the 6.2 liter and I've heard alot of bad things about motors of that year. They also use a different style glow plug IIRC. I think the threads are different or something like that, and that "could" pose a problem to find replacements. Especially considering the 6.2 has a reputation for going through glow plugs like a howitzer at the battle of the bulge.

The threads are coarse...:grin:

Last edited:

Greenhorn

Thanks to all. I just bought the 82 chevy 4 spd man 3/4 ton 4x4 . This trucks body is bad but eng replaced and only 50k on it. Has been sitting for over one yr. Owner chgd oil and both fuel filters before I bought it. The eng sounds good and xmission shifts well. I noticed emission components on eng. Can I strip these off, chg the 24v off current eng, and end up with a j nonemission eng. The thought is to keep both engs and xmissions together. It should make to install go faster and both are working well together at this time. A downside to this would be the clutch assy condition is unknown. (does not seem to be slipping) Anyone see me jumping off the cliff yet, or does this line of thought make sense? Thx

gaunt1969

personally if it was me and I had them out I would rpl clutch and throw out bearing and have the plate surfaced. Much more simple to do with them out on the ground than to have to pull the trans latter. Especially if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time. 2cents

Greenhorn

That just might be the best thing to do. As my granpa used to say"Haste makes waste". I will take your advice as I do plan to keep this truck long term. Thx

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a looksee at the intake. If it has an EGR in it, it's a "C" intake. Perhaps this engine was out of another truck. What color is the engine?
He may have installed a "C" engine in the truck but it was supposed to be a "J" since it's a 3/4 ton. Remember, the only 24V component on the engine is the starter. Sounds like a fun project!

2deuce

So it sounds like, if you can find a 84-86 4spd donor vehicle, pickup or suburban with a gas 350, you only need a 6.2 diesel flywheel to bolt it all in?

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks