• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1983 CUCV m1009 - what to look for

CV1073

Hello everybody
I don't post a lot mainly because I have more to read than to write.
So said, this next Friday I will go and take a look at what will probably be my first Military Vehichle: as per the title it is a 1983 CUCV m1009.
it have been registered for road use here in Italy in 1993, this means that it is street legal.. it also means I cannot do many modding to it..
This car have been sold by the US Army in Italy after the first Gulf war. the owner since then is a professional that restore classic car including many Military vehicle.
So said, what are the most important things to look at?
Please be patient with me since i am a total noob

Thanks

Cris

K9Vic

First of all it is a 1984 M1009, not 1983 as that model year CUCV does not exist. Date of manufacture is not always the year, all CUCV model years are 1984-1987 where the 1984 model year was manufactured starting in the fall of 1983 as a 1984 model year.

Second this question has been asked multiple times, a search should find your answer.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's basically a 27+ year old 4x4 diesel powered truck. I'm hoping it's not your first vehicle, because YOU will probably need to be mechanically inclined to keep it ON the road. As long as the body is ok (rust issues as stated above), having one that will run AND stop are important. As you did not state the mileage but have said that it is private hands, hopefully it's in decent shape.

We love pictures here and good luck with the test drive.

Skinny

Everything mechanical can be fixed for relatively cheap money. Another vote for rust condition. I don't care how much time and money you throw at it...you'll hate it every step of the way and never get ahead...

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Skinny. Unless you have the skill, time, and tools to keep it road worthy, you probably should consider a different vehicle. These trucks require almost constant maintenance to keep them operating as designed.

Hope this helps.

Skinny

I agree with Skinny. Unless you have the skill, time, and tools to keep it road worthy, you probably should consider a different vehicle. These trucks require almost constant maintenance to keep them operating as designed.

Hope this helps.
I would gladly buy a vehicle sight unseen over the internet having just looked at undercarriage photos than buy one locally with rust issues. For the price of a HWWMV 6.2 or TH400, I'd replace the entire driveline before wanting to cut out rusty floorpans and tailgates. I will never buy another New England truck ever :)

CV1073

Hope this helps.
help = scared me.. then yes, you helped me :)

but I have to admit that this is my biggest issue: I am totaly mechanically challenged. the reason why I sellected this particular vihicle it is because the actual owner is a professional that restore car, this is his personal CUCV and the car (according to his words) is perfect with all the critical parts mainteined/changed/fixed. Also a couple of guys that I know already bought vehicle from him and they say he is a serious professional. Last but not least, the price: we are talking of just a bit under 9k euro that it is not exactelly cheap for a 30 years old car but again everybody doing business with that man say it is well worth it..
I will go there, I will take a look at that CUCV and another one, I will drive both of them and then I will take my time to decide.. but the idea of spending my money on a vehicle that I will try to get rid of after 3 weeks because I cannot keep it running..

tequilaiam

I think it's funny that, in the place that is like the silicone valley of cars and motorcycles, a CUCV is considered a classic. :)

If you're mechanically challenged, I can't think of a better vehicle to learn on. These things are pretty simple.

Skinny

Holy $9000 asking price...better be showroom original (not restored) condition. Looking to see what others say but I would assume $5-6k is a good asking price for a very good condition M1009. The only reason I would spend more is if it was an M1010 or M1031 with a full functioning equipment.

DXTAC

My $.02 is that it may be perfect today but tomorrow you have an important meeting to go to and you turn the key and nothing, then what???? Or worse, you are going to the most important meeting of your career and the truck loses power and dies, then what??? Maybe it's the IP, maybe it's the fuel filter, maybe it's any of about 20 other possibilities. You admitted that you are not that mechanically inclined, this may not be the vehicle for you even though they are very easy to work on. These trucks take patience and basic mechanical understanding. A basic tool bag probably won't cut it. You NEED a multimeter to trace electrical issues that WILL pop up and the know how to fix what you see or don't see. I have my truck as a primary driver but I also have a 2011 Jetta that I can use in emergencies. Once again, my $.02.

CV1073

I think it's funny that, in the place that is like the silicone valley of cars and motorcycles, a CUCV is considered a classic. :)

If you're mechanically challenged, I can't think of a better vehicle to learn on. These things are pretty simple.
i live in the middle of the Motor Valley: 90km to Ferrai Plant, 50 km to Maserati (even if now some are made in Turin) some 80km to Lambo, 65 to Pagani amd more or less the same to Ducati.. I grew up with car like this all around me.. Because they always test the baby on the street.. And the seller is half way between me and Ferrari.. Not to mention thalt i sell frame subassembly welding system.. My company design, build and assemble them, i am the sales manager (this is why i know those distances.. Two name in that list are my Customer, on the other i am working..)

About the price: cheapest i can find, 500km away, is 4k euro, running status unknown. Then everything else is around 6k to 7k between 150km to 350. Noneof those seller work on car. Closest to me is a pro, has a good reputation.. This is a very big plus in my book of course he has the most expensive offering.. But this is tipical.. i am criticaly challenged also in saving money..

@tequilaiam: that is exactelly what i was thinking: if i have to learn better do it on something that many label as "pretty simple".. it is still my biggest concern (it is simple because you know what you have to do..) but again i have some free support by some friend that does that to earn a living and, in case of bigger issue, i can go back to the dealer.
i was also going to ask what tool to go and buy.. Yes, i am so incompetent in this field that i have never bought a toolset..

Thanks again for all of your comment and please forgive me for my English

ciao

Cris

CV1073

My $.02 is that it may be perfect today but tomorrow you have an important meeting to go to and you turn the key and nothing, then what???? Or worse, you are going to the most important meeting of your career and the truck loses power and dies, then what??? Maybe it's the IP, maybe it's the fuel filter, maybe it's any of about 20 other possibilities. You admitted that you are not that mechanically inclined, this may not be the vehicle for you even though they are very easy to work on. These trucks take patience and basic mechanical understanding. A basic tool bag probably won't cut it. You NEED a multimeter to trace electrical issues that WILL pop up and the know how to fix what you see or don't see. I have my truck as a primary driver but I also have a 2011 Jetta that I can use in emergencies. Once again, my $.02.
The CUCV will not be my daily driver, i have a Golf td (company's car) and a Peugeot (personal car) but again the fear of a situation like that is what is keeping me at bay. I can read a mechanical drawings, i can read an electrical drawing but between that and being able to solve an issue.. as i wrote in my previous post: having the car in a good working order to start with is what is important, then i will learn on a daily basis what to do when something happen.. i am really debated.. My heart say go and take her home, my brain says stay as far as you can.. Kinda dealing with a woman, isn't it?

MarcusOReallyus

First of all, don't worry about your English! It's better than some of the regulars here who were born and raised in the U.S.! :shock:

:mrgreen:

Here's one more thing to consider: Somebody earlier said that these are cheap to repair.

Well, yes, that's true in America.

How difficult and expensive will it be for you to get parts there in Italy?

:beer:

CV1073

First of all, don't worry about your English! It's better than some of the regulars here who were born and raised in the U.S.! :shock:

:mrgreen:

Here's one more thing to consider: Somebody earlier said that these are cheap to repair.

Well, yes, that's true in America.

How difficult and expensive will it be for you to get parts there in Italy?

:beer:
I am doing a massive search on that.. and I am in deep s**t.. besides some minor stuff that can be found here (oil filter, air filter, same grade different name oil) all the rest have to come from the US.. advantages is Euro vs. Dollar exchange rate.. killer will be the transport fee.. have to check what I can find in auto store near military installation.. it is another aspect of this project that is showing up to be very detrimental..