• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1983 Govplanet Hummervee

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So basically you have an early TOW missile carrier HMMWV w/ Supplemental Armor (aka X doors with a piece of steel added).

Your truck originally had a slantback top and TOW missile fittings, brackets, and mounts. Are there any odd brackets in the back of the truck?

Very rare truck.

Last edited:

HUMVEE1

[h=2]
[/h]
That truck is TE000K.
This truck is TE0001.
TE stands for Testing and Evaluation. I guess the General Dynamics trucks were alphabetical and the AM General trucks were numerical.
The truck I have might be this one:​

Attachments

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rare indeed....the first production Hmmwv came off the assembly line in 1985.... Do not and I repeat do not start and try to make this truck into a production truck....keep it true. Everything and anything you do to that truck that is not OEM, will only devalue it....no cutting, grinding and drilling holes.
but that just me....my suggestion is if your not going to restore that truck back to original, sell or trade for a production truck.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: I completely agree with warhorses. I would see if the musuem at Knights Armament would be interested. They are not short on cash in anyway and are always looking for rare vehicles.

HUMVEE1

Funny that you called it a depot hack job in the fuel sender hatch thread and now you are saying it is rare !
The truck is amazingly original now. Paint, tires, engine, hand made radiator, suspension, frame rails, all different than the production trucks than started production in late 1984 with the first completed units showing stamped delivery dates of 11/84.
The first truck rolled out of the building Jan 2, 1985 but the delivery date on the data plate of at least the first 50 trucks was stamped 1984.
I have no plans to paint it red or put speakers in the floor. I do wish I could find the top and doors as the door openings are slightly different. At least I have photos of what they should look like.

HUMVEE1

Yes I believe so. The doors looked like this:
my hinges are slightly different. The backing plate is riveted to the body and the hinge is made to clear the rivets. Production trucks had no rivets so the hinge plate was flat.

Attachments

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny that you called it a depot hack job in the fuel sender hatch thread and now you are saying it is rare !
The truck is amazingly original now. Paint, tires, engine, hand made radiator, suspension, frame rails, all different than the production trucks than started production in late 1984 with the first completed units showing stamped delivery dates of 11/84.
The first truck rolled out of the building Jan 2, 1985 but the delivery date on the data plate of at least the first 50 trucks was stamped 1984.
I have no plans to paint it red or put speakers in the floor. I do wish I could find the top and doors as the door openings are slightly different. At least I have photos of what they should look like.
Howdy,

All I can say is, "slow down slick"

You could help your self out about thinking what you post first. You could have posted pics of the data plate and follow it with overall pictures of the truck. You do not need pictures of anything 5 inches close. It might be rare, but, you will also need to move it onward to someone who will do what it needs.

HUMVEE1

Well said ! Howdy back ! So off-roading use only then ? The kid next door agrees. Wants to test the fording capability in the swamp.
OK sorry. No more annoying close ups.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Well, being your probably the worst picture taker on the forum...it's no wonder.
As another member pointed out, take pics of the truck and associated areas. You posted pics of a fuel sender cover, hinges, data plate etc...
you talked about non folding windshields.....then, out of no where you say "hey, I have a rare early prototype" and only then start posting an actual photo of the truck thats not from 6inches away.
not one post you made here or on G503 made an ounce of sense......this entirely due to you being about as vague as you could. I will do you a solid....I will be sure not to answer any of your questions moving forward.

HUMVEE1

Sorry if I am not a great photographer.
It is reasonable to want to get the truck and paperwork prior to posting about it.

Last edited:

Mike82ndABN

He's been a member over on hummernetwork for years. Had some early trucks. I saw some cross posting there. As well as a few months ago here looking for prototypes. He knew he had a prototype before he bought it. Which is cool. Kinda teased us with some hints before the reveal. Same thing on some other boards, talking about keeping the original bias ply tires. Cool truck but he knows what he had when he first posted and could've told us.

HUMVEE1

lol...ok, can you perhaps enlighten me? Please....what questions have you answered for me over the years?
is this someone I know lurking under an alias I'm unaware of?
Glad we got that cleared up ! I apologize to all concerned for my perceived troll like actions. I meant no harm. I was and am still trying to remain a tad anonymous in light of the fact that we collect military vehicles in a time when there are those that would change our ability to do so if enabled.