• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 5 ton m923

topshot

I just got this very clean AM general with the Cummins motor and Allison trans does not have a turbo there is a loud knock if I could send a video to anybody if they can determine if this is okay or its got a problem
I live in Michigan by Port Huron
The truck runs great starts right up and has good oil pressure, it has lot of power and runs down the road fine

Thanks guys

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be stuck injector or a head gasket leak. If it were a rod it would probably be more pronounced.

White smoke with antifreeze smell - head gasket.
Put a infrared thermometer on each cylinder and if you have a cold one - possible injector.
Drop the pan and look for a rod loose.

But if it rattles like a tin can with rocks in it then you are good to go. :)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When does the knock start. When at idle or when you hit a hill or put a good load on the motor running through the gears.

topshot

I just got this very clean AM general with the Cummings motor and Allison trans does not have a turbo there is a loud knock if I could send a video to anybody if they can determine if this is okay or its got a problem
I live in Michigan by Port Huron
The truck runs great starts right up and has good oil pressure, it has lot of power and runs down the road fine

Thanks guys
Can't load a video

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The M900 trucks with the 250 made a weird sound when going down the road. I never figured out exactly what caused it but it is common. If the knock increases and decreases under load then you may have a problem.
I would find an old school Cummins mechanic in your area and have him check it out.....worth a few bucks for the peace of mind.

acme66

Not that it answers your question about if your knock is bad (video it and post it) I can say the coconut noise description is very apt. My 925 is MUCH louder in the cab than the 923 was and it is that dang nut noise. Very disconcerting but they tell me it is normal. If you ever find a solution to it let me know, the 925 is so loud in the cab as to be rather unpleasant to drive w/o hearing protection.

Ken

Rmtaunton

Not that it answers your question about if your knock is bad (video it and post it) I can say the coconut noise description is very apt. My 925 is MUCH louder in the cab than the 923 was and it is that dang nut noise. Very disconcerting but they tell me it is normal. If you ever find a solution to it let me know, the 925 is so loud in the cab as to be rather unpleasant to drive w/o hearing protection.

Ken
Have you ever been in a deuce ? Ha I think the A1's are relaxing compared to

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my cab is not unpleasant with the noise level. I will tell you that I did blow out the muffler on the recovery as it was probably internally rusted by water sitting up as it had no rain cap. I used an almost new take off muffler and that made a lot of difference. I also have a hard top. I now have a rain cap.

Check the condition of your muffler?

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M900 trucks with the 250 made a weird sound when going down the road. I never figured out exactly what caused it but it is common. If the knock increases and decreases under load then you may have a problem.
I would find an old school Cummins mechanic in your area and have him check it out.....worth a few bucks for the peace of mind.

When they are under load they sound like dancing coconuts LOL Which is normal if that's the case.

So how does a "normal" amount of knocking coconut sound correspond to load? My 1984 M925 has more "coconut" effect than my 1986 M925A1, and it increases with load. It is not really present at all when coasting. I had a career army truck mechanic ride in it and he said it is completely normal, no cause for concern, they all do it, etc., but it is more noticeable in the one truck than the other. I'll do the dual fuel line mod if I can ever get caught up a bit.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Juan. I had the Hawaiian dance team with coconut bikinis riding with me before I replaced my muffler. Mine had rusted out at the bottom. I replaced it with a NOS surplus muffler (correct muffler but a variation) and it sounds like a real truck now. It still has a unique tone to it compared to other big trucks, civilian and military, but there is far less cab noise and the cocounts are gone. This tells me that most of the coconuts are in the muffler.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks