• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 6.2 Oil

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run Rotella 15/40 conventional motor oil in my normally aspirated 6.5. If I had a turbo then I would run a synthetic. The engine can run quieter with a conventional oil.

Mark

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the 6.2 in? I can move this to CUCV or HMMWV when we find out what it is powering so you can get others opinions.

And, yes, your choice of oil will be fine. I run 15W40 in just about everything at the Museum.

87cr250r

I suggest you read about API service grades. They typically supercede each other. The only exception is the most current generation of oils. Chevron Delo 400 is available in a SDE and XLE formula. The SDE is for 2017 and earlier engines while the XLE is for later.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rotella is a good oil. I am not a fan of synthetics, just my preference. From what I have read, the blends give you the best of both worlds. In order to make the oil you are asking about do it's job the best it can, you need to use a quality filter. Not your run of the mill Wix or Baldwin, but a good glass media, bypass combo filter.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wix and Baldwin are run of the mill filters? Don't agree with that at all. If you meant Fram then yeah those are trash in my humble opinion.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone actually run these things enough miles between oil changes to justify better oil and filters?

I know I don't.

I use run of the mill filters and Rotella oil and change frequently.

Except for my M925. I had several big trips line up close together and put like 5000miles on it. Curiosity got the best of us and we sent a sample to Blackstone for testing. The oil is still fine...

87cr250r

Wix is the better filter for these engines and is readily available. I don't see any reason not to run one.

Don't run Baldwin oil filters in Cat 3500 series engines.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen at least 3 fleets get dozens of engines wiped out by Wix and Baldwin. Their, the filter manufacturers, response was, oops! No help with the destroyed engines what so ever. OCTA, Baldwin. Overnite Trans, Wix. Davalos Trucking, a small, 10 truck fleet that had a contract with BNSF or SP hauling drive assys to and from the rail yard to the OVH yard. He lost his contract from the failures.

Fleetguard is Cummins owned. Fleetrite, Navistar filters are made by Fleetguard. I trust them with my junk. Luberfiner is my next choice for other than OEM, but that is just my opinion, and we all know what those are like!

And no, I do not believe that most any of these vehicles justify the use of double throw down oil and filters. Just the advance of standard oils alone will benefit these things.

Again, an opinion

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wix is the better filter for these engines and is readily available. I don't see any reason not to run one.

Don't run Baldwin oil filters in Cat 3500 series engines.

I also use Hastings but they are harder to get. What's the issue with Wix and a cat motor. I've never had an issue.

Mark

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even Dino oil today is a far better oil than what they had years ago. What SF rating to they have today SL or something like that? I remember SC so they have come a long way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks