• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 CUCV Tires

codenameearl

hey all....i'm new to this site. right now i'm currently in Afghanistan and waiting to go home in april!!! I bought a 1984 CUCV and the only thing to make it drivable is tires. What is the biggest tire that will fit the original 16in rims?? also if you have any suggestions on a place to get good deals on wheel and tire sets please let me know.. thanks

86M10086.2L

RE: 1984 CUCV M1008 Tires

If I'm not mistaken the rims on a M1008 are 16x8's? so the possibilities are almost endless. what will limmit you is the body. I hear most guys don't go bigger than 32's or 33'sx10.5/12.5's because of the 3.08 gearing. If you hav a M1009 than your a little limited. those rims are skinny, 16x7.5. Conventional tires sizes you can go up to a 285/75/16 or at most a 295/305. some also run the less common (by me anyway) 255/85/16 its a little skinnier than the others but also a little taller. Taller is better with the 4.56's of a M1008. Again the body becomes you limitation. If you looking to do a lift or fender trimming than you can do more. there are several people on here with michelin XL's and the like on stock rims but they had to fudge a little to get them on. Theres a one guy who has 38's on his truck with nothing else but some fender trimming and a 1 inch zero rate kit on the front of his truck. I'm sure there's other options you can go with, but this is just a basic rundown of what I know to be true based on info I've picked up since I got my truck. Some of the more knowledgable members should be along shortly to give more specific info.

codenameearl

to be honest with you i don't know the specs on my rims....really i'm looking for some used 8 lug wheels and tires but what i'm running into is the newer trucks...which have the most packages have a different lug pattern.... so if you know of any places that specialize in older trucks or whatever that would be awsome. thanks for all the info

Bozor1000

Just go to any 4 wheel offroad supplier or to a tire shop. Just tell them that the rims is for a 3/4 ton truck or a k20. Those differentials are the same as the m1009. I had those axles on my 1984 long bed K20. You can get some blacked out rock crawlers for about $80/piece

86M10086.2L

If your looking for aftermarket rims I would suggest that you go with a 8 inch wide rim max. Unless you plan on runing some real wide tires. I have some old kidney bean style mags rims I got off craigs list for my truck and they are 10.5 inches wide with 32x12.5 tires. They're ok, look nice, but if one of my tires goes flat the bead pulls off the rim. I think that probably wouldn't happen with the 8 inch rims. As far as bolt pattern most any wheel with 8 x 6.5 lug pattern should fit. The only real difference that comes up is in some of the newer trucks (late90's-2k's)the backspacing changes and you can't run some rims without wheel spacers. other than that any older (as in the same vintage) ford/dodge/chevy 8 lug rim should fit on your truck. The big three all used the Dana 60 in the front of some of their heavy duty models. So accordingly they all ended up using the same bolt pattern for their 8 lug trucks. I imagine Spicer told them if you buy it that way it's cheaper so nobody asked for a different lug arrangment and just taylored their rear ends to match. Watch out for ford though, at some point they got cute and changed their 8 lug pattern but I don't recall when. Those wheels wont work on your truck.

AJMBLAZER

Factory wheels on a 1008 or SRW 1028 are standard 16x6.5" GM wheels with about 4.5" of backspacing. The rare duallies obviously got the dually wheels with much more backspacing.

GM's 8 lug 16" wheels are all about the same width and backspacing up to the current day. I have 16x7 steel wheel's off of a 2007 GM 1 ton van on mine.

The biggest tires you can fit on the stock sized wheels alone is basically a factor of how wide you want to go, if you want them to fit on the truck, and how you intend to use the truck. I've got 38x11ishR16's on mine but I had to do the 1" lift and some trimming to make them fit. The steering stop on the d-side had to be adjusted to limit my right turns a bit so that the tire didn't eat the drag link.
A wider tire could be fitted but it would cause steering and rubbing issues faster than a narrower tire.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: 1984 CUCV Tires

codenameearl said:
to be honest with you i don't know the specs on my rims....really i'm looking for some used 8 lug wheels and tires but what i'm running into is the newer trucks...which have the most packages have a different lug pattern.... so if you know of any places that specialize in older trucks or whatever that would be awsome. thanks for all the info
Here's a pic of my 1986 M1008 with 33.3" 255/85-16 BFG's on the 16x6.5 stock wheels. Stock, no lift or body triming.

Attachments

Reactions: jpg

Croatan_Kid

The only 8-lug trucks that have different lug patterns are Fords which have a metric 8-179mm pattern. Everything else runs a standard 8 on 6.5 pattern.

You can go with as big a tire as you can fit, don't worry, if you have an M1008 they have 4.56 gears. Im running 39s and I added an overdrive transmission and my RPMs are still higher than I would like.

What part of NC are you in?

Craig C

Pictures are good.............who is that sticks the message in the posts W/O pictures, the little signs that say a thread isn't worth anything w/o pictures............good looking truck 11Echo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks