• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 M1008 PickUp Driveshaft-What fits

fredster67a

Just wondering the following about going to a local junkyard to buy a rear driveshaft for my M1008 Pickup- What vehicle should I get one from? For example can it be a half ton chevy or gmc pickup, a 3/4 ton if they made that),or a 1 ton , etc. The rear shaft has a tube length of 51 1/2 inches(weld to weld) and the u joints are 3 1/2 inches across (cap to cap ) Thanks in advance for any helpful advice .

camogriz

I purchased a used driveshaft from the junkyard for the M1008 I sold. I couldn't find one that matched up by a specific model, so I went with the yard worker to a large pile of driveshafts. We picked one that matched the length and 32 spline yoke. I replaced both u-joints and had many miles of trouble free service from it. Unfortunately, I could not match the large diameter of the original one, but I didn't use the truck for any heavy duty towing, so I wasn't worried. The 32 spline yoke on the used one we found probably meant it came from a heavy duty truck anyway.

DokWatson

Price quoted is 225.00 for the rear driveshaft to be retubed with 2 new u joints.
Depends on the u-joints I suppose, but you can do that yourself...no reason to pay him for at least 30 minutes of work that takes 10 minutes to do yourself with a hammer. Just ask for a retube, and to re-use everything already on it. Get a quote from somewhere else too.

camp9

I had one done for my m1031 last week for $180. The machine shop had a peace of stainless tube in the scrap pile so they used that. Sure is shiny. :grin:

trider

I know this is a very old thread but instead of starting a new one I thought I would ask it here. I just bought a 1986 M1008 that is missing the rear driveline. I bought the truck beucase it was cheap from GSA. Is there any trucks in the civilian market that will be a direct replacement like something I might find at the local salvage yard?

cucvrus

Re-tube it then you know what you have. They will balance it when they re-tube it. If you run an incorrectly balanced drive shaft you can crack the cas on the transmission from the vibration. Even if it is slight I have seen them cracked. Wise investment new shaft or re-tubed.

trider

So I may have found a drive shaft from a 1985 GMC 3500 4X4 truck. The guy said it is already removed from the truck and does not have the straps or bolts for the yolk. I am very new to CUCV's. Should this drive shaft fit and are the straps and bolts something I can get from a parts store or online. He wants $100 for the drive shaft.

Skinny

I think even with a junkyard driveshaft, it would be a good practice at minimum to install 2 new Spicer joints. Odds are at least in the rust belt that the weights have rusted off. Regardless, buying a custom made rear shaft is not going to be much more money than a junkyard shaft that is retubed.