• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 M1009: Directional or Turn Signal Lever Mount Broke Inside the Column

Krempely

Simpson 5M9
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm driving along and snap, the turn signal arm flops up and down and no signal. I open up the steering column and this is what I found (see pictures).

Does anyone know the name, model number, nomenclature, or a source for this part? I looked at TM9-2320-289-34P and I don't see this part listed in figure 127.
1984 M1009 turn signal FIRST.jpg1984 M1009 turn signal 02.jpg1984 M1009 turn signal 03.jpg1984 M1009 turn signal 01.jpg

Jeepadict

It looks to me like the turn signal switch housing broke. Fairly easy fix, have to pull the wheel to get to it. Parts easily available from any parts store, or from a Squarebody catalog last time I did one.shouldnt be more than a couple hours work, you'll need a steering wheel puller.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

cucvrus

That is not really an easy fix. It can be done but requires the entire column to be disassembled. That switch you are holding is the wiper motor switch. 1984 was the first year for the GM Smart Stalk control. Prior to that 1983 models had the dimmer switch on the floor with the push button and the wipers were on the cluster with a push and 3 position slide switch. I outlined this procedure in my decade wrecked thread. 1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked. | Page 26 | SteelSoldiers Check this out. And I mentioned before I found it impossible to remove that switch and get everything back together neatly and functioning as designed trying t change it in the truck. Read my post and I have all the pictures it will help you understand why. It is also a great time to clean and re-lube the switches and moving parts inside the column. Good Luck and be gentle. Doing it right the first time is important. Doing the second time and getting the correct results is just wasting time doing it the first time. As mentioned, you will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate compression tool.

Krempely

Simpson 5M9
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found several sources for the Windshield Wiper Switch from $30-$117. Now the process of disassembly, replacement, and reinstallation. I have taken a lot of photos to assist in rebuilding the column and subassemblies. My original wiper switch had the original yellow parts tag 0274 on it.

I purchased a steering wheel puller set from Autozone, Part 57182 / SKU 555516, and can return it (loaner purchase) for a full refund when I'm done. I'm sure other auto parts outlets have the same loaner program. It worked great for pulling the steering wheel and depressing the internal spring. The TMs have not been a reliable source of guidance. IMG-3548.jpgIMG-3554.jpgIMG-3552.jpgIMG-3546.jpg

Thank you CUCVRUS for the original thread and your expertise.

Krempely

Simpson 5M9
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That rear cover is screwed on from the inside. Did you break it to get it off?
I disassembled the column, slid the first assembly (turn signal ring) out about a quarter inch, and used a screw driver to remove that screw. I separated those two parts and the ignition guide-spring-pin fell out. I’m waiting for a replacement wiper switch and turn signal switch. Then the fun part of reassembly.

Krempely

Simpson 5M9
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a screenshot of the replacement switch and wiring. The original switch was shattered as depicted in the photo with the pieces in my hand.

Jeepadict

I disassembled the column, slid the first assembly (turn signal ring) out about a quarter inch, and used a screw driver to remove that screw. I separated those two parts and the ignition guide-spring-pin fell out. I’m waiting for a replacement wiper switch and turn signal switch. Then the fun part of reassembly.
While you're in there, I recall the ignition switch being in the lower part of the column...not a horrible idea to change that out for good measure since you're already in that deep. Also re-greasing the bearings is a no-brainer once you have them clean, there's spring/bearing rebuild kits available if you find worn stuff in there.

Here's another video that may be of interest.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Krempely

Simpson 5M9
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Project complete and everything works again. It took about 10 hours to remove, disassemble, clean, paint, lube, reassemble, and reinstall the column. I ordered the wiper/washer switch and the turn signal switch from RockAuto.com (see list below for part numbers and price comparisons). These parts can be found at most auto parts stores and online at Amazon and eBay. The parts from Rock Auto were a direct replacement for the original switches (no modification necessary). NOTE: YouTube videos on how to remove and rebuild a 1984 K5 steering column were very helpful.

Rock Auto parts:
1). GM Genuine, Turn Signal Switch, part D6262D, $38.79
2). Std. Motor Prod., Wiper/Washer Switch, part DS811 (DS-811), $30.79 (NOTE: your turn signal lever/arm is inserted into this switch)

I plan to return the loaner steering wheel puller/spring depressor kit for a full refund. The kit (AutoZone, Part 57182 / SKU 555516) was perfect for this repair.

IMG_3689.jpgIMG_3701 JPEG.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks