• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 M1009 external wires

flewbyu

Hi guys. In an effort to show off my "Newbiness" I want to ask a quick question. I am about to pick up my first MV, a 84 M1009. It has a two condutor, heavy gauge red wire with a flat rectangular connector on the end protruding from the passenger (right) grill at the bottom just above the bumper. Question? What is it?

papercu

Don't know why the military would need one of those, block heater would have a male plug, jump starting has a connection in the grill. Could be a charger but wouldn't need large wiring and wouldn't be military issue. Did it come from a Air Base? Just going to have to raise the hood and see. Wayne

mutt1966

Anysigns that they mite of had a snow plow on it or a winch, depending on how its connected to the batteries I would go with connecter to jump start a vehicle I had one on my civilian 12V GMC best set of jumpers I ever had. Scott out

hobie237

From Mil, and yes, very much so. Pos and Neg very clearly defined. Thanks.
I was thinking block heater, charger hook-up, or jump start.
Each conductor strand is as big as my pinky finger, so pretty heavy gauge stuff, if that helps...
No, none of this really helps. A photo would be helpful. Whatever it is, it's not "normal." Try to trace it back and see where it leads to- one battery, both batteries, or whatever.