• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 M1009 - New to me.

GroundedCLK

I just recently purchased a 1984 M1009 it looks to be in really good shape. According to the speedometer it has just under 11,312 mile on it.

There is a couple issues with it but so far I have had no issues with it starting or driving it. I had a 180 mile commute home from where I picked it up.

IMG_1017_zpsa75e3f32.jpgIMG_1016_zpsa0dbb197.jpgIMG_1015_zps87c31056.jpgIMG_1014_zps849a3bd4.jpgIMG_1012_zps62293ba1.jpgIMG_1011_zps33f88ad1.jpgIMG_1010_zpscde77470.jpgIMG_1009_zpsf00178a4.jpgIMG_1008_zps05679aa9.jpg

ajsmith184

Great looking 09...Looks like one from 82ABNMP did at southern cucvs...You can always tell as he redyes the seats and dash to look new, as well as the black roll on bedliner ;) Maybe just a coincidence.

GroundedCLK

The bottom side of the vehicle is very clean as well, no rust on any floor pans underneath or leaf springs.

It was listed on Craigslist in northern Vermont.

My plan for this year is to drive it for the winter that's it. Now next year is a whole different subject I will love to leave it as originally as possible so if I did want to sell it later on. I want to go four wheeling with it and turn it in to a "Get-away" vehicle something I can pack full and drive out to "nowhere" to go camping. I mean nowhere as some mud wrangling, water fording, steep trail climbing destination spot.

So I have a few questions:

1. Heater options? New England winters are cold and need some insulation ideas or supplemental heater.

2. GEN1 light is on constantly.

3. Do they make reproduction radios for them or can you find the original 2-way radio. I am not looking to do anything outrageous just something that will mount on the original mounting plate.

4. Weatherstripping, does someone make a kit specifically for the M1009?

5. Seriously how much can I realistically tow?

6. It has been sitting for a long time, anything I should have done to the engine immediately before winter?

I probably will have a few more questions later on.

Westech

CPL
You don't need another heater. I live in WI and have never had to add a heater to any of my blazers. Keep it plugged in at night and she warms right up.
To get a RTS radio tour looking at 500 for a dummy and 900 for a working unit.
Weather strip is same as any blazer of the year. It's a chevrolet not some military only unit. 99.9% of the parts can be found at your local parts house.

Westech

CPL
Towing .. Same as any full size blazer. I would not want to tow a car trailer loaded with a short wheel base truck but people do it.
Gen light out means it's not working.... Test them with a volt meter.
And I don't know what your truck needs. If you can't tell or don't know how to do pmcs take it to your shop of your liking and have a tech look it over and do what had to be done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks