• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 CUCV m1008 lift ideas?

Next, I rebuilt the front axle after stripping it down in a similar way. I went to Fastenal and got a 2-1/4" wire brush to clean the axle tubes with. The fiberglass extension they supplied was a toy and not a tool, so I bought 3 of the 10" pipe sections of 1/4" pipe, ground the end of the last one to fit into my trusty 1/2" drill, and scoured the axles tubes of all the dirt and rust accumulted after 25 years of use. I then sprayed the inside of the tubes with rust reformer and painted them the same as before with the leaf springs. I also installed some nice braided S/S front brake lines extended for a 4" lift. They were just long enough for the job when the front axle was completely unsupported.

Attachments

Next, I went to the rear and removed the rear perches and replaced them with some nice shackle flips from V-4x4. After taking some measurements, I decided using 63" rear springs would give a good shackle angle, move the rear axle back about 3", and give plenty of flex. I went with a neutral shacle angle in the front for a plush ride, but the rear needed a slight spring-rate increase, so I chose not to move the front perches of the rear springs forward any to accomplish this. I also needed an extra long rear shackle of 9", which Kert from DIY4X.com was only too happy to custom fabricate for me.

Attachments

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

The tuff country front spring will work fine you will not notice much sag at all if any yes the springs will settle a small amount that is norm! I like the shackle flip in the rear over blocks! much safer and less axle twist. as far as body lift thats up to you. I try to stay away from them but everybody is dif.

The rear springs were taken apart and painted the same as front, and I added the two bottom leaves out of the stock 56" rear springs that were already on the truck. This was an HD-model M1008, and I used the top block that separates the helper spring from the rest of the pack as a zero-rate 3/4" lift block to even the lift in the rear with that of the front. To check this out, I took a pic from the side and used the paint program to measure the lift of the front and compare it to the rear. They were both the same with about 150# of the remainder of the old stock springs in the bed. I also rebuilt the rear axle same as the front. The wheel bearings had been packed with grease to keep them from running dry, but this creates another problem. As one can see, the adjusting collars in the differential have small holes through which the gear oil travels to lubricate everything. These holes were all but plugged with the grease. The wet hubs sytem in the 14BFF rear axle does just fine with gear oil only. I also changed it over to synthetic oil after I was done cleaning her up. In the close-up of the adjusting collars, one can see how I marked them with a small punch to get them lined up correctly so I would not change the lash adjustment of the gears. If you take this apart, it is a good idea to also mark the saddles to keep them exactly the same when reassembling. Also, you need to count and note the number of turns the collars took in order to remove the ring gear. For mine, it was all the way to bottoming out on the right one, then turning it back to the first time the marks liined up, and two complete truns on the left one, which gave plaenty of clearance for removal and reassembly. it was also easier with the axle out so you didn't have to support that 50# or so while trying to start a saddle bolt. Overall, it was a long process, and still is not done. For one thing, the 6-degree wedges I used on the back axle were too much, and the pinion angle is actually high rather than straight, so I will be changing those to 4-degree ones as ASAP and see how that looks. I ordered those and a nice set of 5/8" U-bolts for the rear from Kert at DIY4X.com as well. He is a truly great fabricator and doesn't mind talking to you on the phone to make sure he knows what you want. I'm running 3-degree ones in the front BTW, and that was after trying both the 2 and 6 degree ones. Got to keep some sort of caster angle going. Next, I will be rebuilding the TH400 transmission and doing some typical modifications on it in case I ever change over to a big-block gas engine. That will not happen anytime in the near future however since I have already re-sealed the 6.2 diesel's bottom end, replaced the oil pump, timing chain and gears, and water pump along with a few other PM things.

Attachments

Last edited:
One other thing I would like to show is the tires I will be going with. The first pic shows the nice rims I picked up for $200 from the classifieds in a local rag. Unfortunately, even though the guy told me they were for standard 8-lug axles, I found out the hard way they are metric, and will not fit on these axles. The pattern is just slightly larger diameter than it needs to be. So I got out my prybars, lighter fluid, silicon oil and a hold-down strap and changed them over to the other set of rims I had, which I temporarily placed on the front to see how they will fit. With the axles moved, the fenders will need to be trimmed slightly.

Attachments

Last edited:
I received a very polite PM stating the shackle angle on the rear spring was not going to let the spring attain it's maximum length when compressed fully. This was a concern of mine when i was building this custom lift. I researched shackles quite a bit, with one of the best websites being: Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories & Jeep Soft Tops From The Jeep Parts Experts - Quadratec
To make sure this was going to work, I installed everything with only the top single leaf first, then put a jack uner it and jacked it up until it was perfectly straight, and watched the angle on the shackle. It flexed beautifully all the way until it was perfectly straight. The shackle spring eye moved up and back just like it should. Any more pressure on the suspension will result in what is explained as the 2nd shackle effect at the bottom of the page. In the hills of Alabama, which is where this truck will be primarily driven, rock-climbing suspension is what I was shooting for with a secondary wish for comfort. I believe this suspension setup is about as close to pefect for this as I can get. As the truck stands with all it's weight on both axles in the last photo above, the front shackle has a neautral angle, which will allow for a softer ride in the front, and the 45-degree shackle angle in the back will keep it still functionable for load bearing if I decide to haul something. I do appreciate any and all critiques, so please say so if you think something needs to be changed. I estimate 90% of what I know has been learned from mistakes.

I think you have one **** of a set up! Thanks for sharing. It will help when I decide to raise my truck.
Appreciate it, and I also thank the gentleman who sent me the PM and descreetly told me about a possible problem I might have rather than do it publicly. That's class. I still might move the front perches of the rear springs forward a little to increase the shackle angle and move the rear end forward a little. I thought 3" would be great at first to improve departure angle and stability, but when I look at the profile of the whole truck, it looks a little weird - like I am about to loose the rear axle or something.
On a side note, that Rockcrusher diffy-cover was only $75 on egay, and it came unpainted. It is steel, so I coated it with Jasco overnite then gave it the standard 7 coats of Rustoleum bar-b-que Black paint. It came out nicer than I expected.:lol:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks