• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 CUCV M1009 Normal Shifting?

mistaken1

When I was replacing my vacuum hoses I noticed that the rubber connector (TM 9-2320-289-20, section 3-21, item #8) was cracked and dry rotted. So, I connected my new vacuum hoses directly to the plastic nipples on the vacuum valve. This worked okay even though there wasn’t much clearance between the 2 vacuum hoses installed on the plastic nipples. Does anyone know where I might find a new rubber connector?

Thanks again for the great tips and advice!

Jeff 8)

Item 2 on page 3-64? My was starting to crack as well. I wrapped it tightly with self-fusing rubber tape to help seal it and hold it together.

CycleJay

Hello Guys,

I have a M1009 as well. With the same problem (shifting first at about 25-30 mph)
So I thought I would ask.
What are the normal speeds that the M1009 should shift from first to
second to third, etc..
When all is fine, good, normal, and nothing is wrong with the engine or tranny?

Helpful information would be appreciated..

Thank you...

CJ

combatmech

My oh-nine is slow to shift from 2nd to 3rd. I have to back off the gas for a sec then resume the attack.....I'll check my vac lines when I get home. Thanks to all for great info. At least it gives others places to look, things to check.
Cycle, check the first few posts within this thread......

CycleJay

Hello Combatmech,

Ok, I will re-read the first few.. Thanks for the tip.

Have a good day, and come home safe... God bless you...

CJ

vanaisa

Is there any bad consequences when i drive my 1009 with vacuum valve on pump bypassed?

It is broken, spring was broken, not sure about valve condition eather. Shifted only at high speeds, with throttle playing.
Bypassed it and shifts are sweet for my driving - 1...2 at 15mph, 2...3 at 35ish.
And here i cant find new valve, ordering and shipping from States takes long time...

Edit: ok, must answer myself - if vacuum pump is worn and dont produce max vacuum, is fine to drive vacuum regulator bypassed.
According to our oldest (wisest?) tansmission guy.
If vacuum pump is in great condition, can happen situation, when car doesnt downshift from 3rd in stopping (like on red light or similar) and engine shuts down.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks