• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 CUCV M1009 "The Colonel"

Ordak

Well I officially became a M1009 owner yesterday and I could not be happier! I drove it from State College, Pa all the way to New Castle, Pa and I was smiling from ear to ear. I only had 2 problems getting it home, 1st it would not start after I parked it for about 2 and half hours and 2nd it was like 95F and I sweated myself to death but heck I was happy so who am i to complain. I have named it "The Colonel" because my license plate starts with KFC.
89AE3ABE-FC31-4427-B48B-6860039442AA.jpg

Ordak

Good job getting it home, interesting shade of OD. Look forward to hearing more about it.
Yes I got some good plans for it.

The To-Do List

1. New Lights all around
2. Fix Power Steering Lines
3. Looking to put a 4" lift and some bigger tires and rims
4. New batteries and gauges (water temp, oil pressure, volt meter, and tach)
5. CB Radio and stereo install
6. Hitch Receive install and trailer plug conversion with brake controller

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome. Welcome to CUCV ownership. Hot start issues often hinge on temp sensors for the glowplug curcuit or injection pump issues. Looks to be a nice example there.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awesome. Welcome to CUCV ownership. Hot start issues often hinge on temp sensors for the glowplug curcuit or injection pump issues. Looks to be a nice example there.
Ditto to all Kenny said. Nice M1009. Start checking the glowplug circuit. If that checks out, the quick and dirty way to check the IP is to hose it down with cold water for a few minutes.

Kenny also wants a M1009 BTW. :mrgreen:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot has changed since the power went out but I wouldn't mind converting my ambulance into a family truckster.

Ordak

I am first going to try swapping out the temp sensor and see it is recognizes higher temps. I did read it cuts out the circuit at ~120F, It was only 80F yesterday and cloudy and the glowplugs came on real quick then went away. I would presume it would be the sensor then. My brother suggested putting in a push button to manually put the glowplug circuit in-service.

NVRENUFF

How's the M1009 doing these days since it's cooler out? I drove one in the navy around base and it was fun, had the coldest AC of any of our vehicles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks