• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 M1008 Hybrid

Empty Pockets

I purchased this truck a few days ago. My truck is a 1985 M1008. The truck is mostly stock except for the motor. The original 6.2 has been replaced with a brand new 350 crate engine. I'm probably better off with the 350 any way.The motor has only 900 miles on it since the installation. The interior has been completely refurbished. For some unknown reason the previous owner removed the grill guard, bridge plate, blackout lights, and the bumper d rings. I currently looking to replace these items. Future plans call for a plow, repaint in the spring, and I would like to put larger 35 inch tires on. I would like to lift the truck but I don't want to sacrifice the load carrying capacity of the truck ( Any Suggestions?).

Attachments

Empty Pockets

The previous owner said the 6.2 was toast and he had the 350 sitting in the crate. I just feel I'm better off with 350 because I grew up building them and I have no experience with diesels. Even my deuce is gas powered. The power that the 350 makes complements the 4.56 gears nicely. I can't believe how rugged these M1008s were made. This is one heck of truck for the price.

muddobber40

Empty Pockets, you can run an ORD zero rate in front with a set of what they call snow plow springs here up front and two in blocks in back and you can clear 35's just fine maintaining the rear load capacity and gaining a little more up front.

V8Astro

Nice lookin truck. If you really want a diesel you can always buy another CUCV :beer:

But you can't go wrong with the ole SBC. Especially since it's a low mileage mill

Empty Pockets

Thanks for the positive responses. The previous owner really did a nice job refinishing the interior. I was afraid to sit in it on the test drive that's how clean it is. I just wish the previous owner didn't scrap the bush guard. V8Astro your right you can't go wrong with a SBC. In the future I would like to buy a diesel to compare and contrast. Thanks muddobber40 I've been doing some searching on the site ORD products seem to come a lot in the cucv community. I will have to check them out. I love the look of 37 hummer tires and rims, however this is my work truck and daily driver so 35s seem to be a little more practical.

SPCWarning

Good looking truck you got there! The interior looks showroom/civvy fresh :drool:! There are several threads on lifting CUCV's on here, check them out and decide what you want to do. Keep us posted on pics of the build/lift too. Oh, and welcome from Mississippi!
Jimmy

Preacherboy

Thanks for the positive responses. The previous owner really did a nice job refinishing the interior. I was afraid to sit in it on the test drive that's how clean it is. I just wish the previous owner didn't scrap the bush guard. V8Astro your right you can't go wrong with a SBC. In the future I would like to buy a diesel to compare and contrast. Thanks muddobber40 I've been doing some searching on the site ORD products seem to come a lot in the cucv community. I will have to check them out. I love the look of 37 hummer tires and rims, however this is my work truck and daily driver so 35s seem to be a little more practical.
Tell him there are guys who pay over $250 for a brush guard and more for the tow points and shackles!

Other people that don't have CUCV's want these brush guards for their trucks...too bad it was scrapped.

saddamsnightmare

December 27th, 2011.

Good truck, hope you have luck with the 350, as any truck built like this one will be relatively inefficient with a gas engine in it. The diesels have their downsides, but if GM had icked an industrial diesel instead of a conversion engine originally, the Army and the rest of us would have been better off. The 6.5 has it's points over the 6.2...Did the previous owneer chop the 24VDC system too?fat lady sings

Tanner

December 27th, 2011.
The diesels have their downsides, but if GM had icked an industrial diesel instead of a conversion engine originally, the Army and the rest of us would have been better off.
Kyle:

Conversion engine? This has been covered MANY times... the 6.2/6.5 was designed by Detroit Diesel from the outset as a light-duty 'fuel pincher' diesel. NOTHING on this engine was a conversion from a gas engine.

From thedieselpage.com: "The 6.2L diesel was a brand new "ground-up" design that was conceived and manufactured as a light-truck diesel engine by GM/Detroit Diesel. Prototypes saw extensive testing at the GM Proving Grounds located in both Milford, Michigan and Mesa, Arizona. When operated within its design and real-world performance limits, the 6.2L diesel is a fine engine. It really does deliver stellar fuel economy, excellent drive-ability and performs well for most owners."

The GM 5.7 & 4.3 diesels used in passenger cars were based on gas engines converted to diesel, and these are the diesels that blackened GM's eye.

'Tanner'

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

It's a shame about the brush guard, I still don't understand why he did that. I did use it to negotiate a better price. The truck was converted to 12v however the previous owner did retain the dual batteries and mounts. This should come in handy later on when I get a plow. I will have to post a picture of the engine bay. It's clean not chopped at all. I'm not to worried about gas consumption of the 350. Diesel in my area costs more than gas and I'm not convinced the 6.2 would be much better in fuel consumption. You want to see inefficient fuel consumption try driving my gas powered deuce.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The GM 5.7 & 4.3 diesels used in passenger cars were based on gas engines converted to diesel, and these are the diesels that blackened GM's eye.

'Tanner'

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the only thing that did it. I'm pretty sure it is their sell out and becoming Government Motors and screwing all their investors so they could protect the unions.

But I digress, back to OP, that is a good looking truck even with carpet and I don't think you can ever go wrong with the small block in there.

Tanner

I'm pretty sure it is their sell out and becoming Government Motors and screwing all their investors so they could protect the unions.
You are correct that this is not relevant to the discussion - the gas converted diesel engines in question were made over 25 years - Not one whit to do with GM's issues of today.

To the OP: please post some records of your fuel consumption with the 350 gas motor; it would be an interesting comparison - I was managing on-highway mileage of 20-21mpg unloaded in my '89 RWD 6.2 diesel equipped GMC 2500 longbed pickup, averaging 55mph. 350 gasser vs 6.2 diesel? You'd probably be looking at a 5-8 mpg difference on highway between the 2.

And the benefit of the 6.2 is it's ability to run biodiesel/WVO/etc., fuels - something the gasser 350 can't do.

'Tanner'

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To the OP: please post some records of your fuel consumption with the 350 gas motor; it would be an interesting comparison - I was managing on-highway mileage of 20-21mpg unloaded in my '89 RWD 6.2 diesel equipped GMC 2500 longbed pickup, averaging 55mph. 350 gasser vs 6.2 diesel? You'd probably be looking at a 5-8 mpg difference on highway between the 2.

And the benefit of the 6.2 is it's ability to run biodiesel/WVO/etc., fuels - something the gasser 350 can't do.

'Tanner'
The OP said he knows Chevy small blocks and that accounts for a lot. If fuel economy is the only thing we based our decisions on these vehicles wouldn't be a very good choice anyway. A MF Deuce gives you the best choice if cheap fuel is a concern. Around here Bio-Diesel is the same cost as regular so unless I want those miraculous cleaning properties I just run regular in all my diesel engines.

86m1028

In my opinion thats the best thing ever to do to these trucks (gas conversion).
350 or 454 & all is good, unless you spend more & do a cummins or durmax swap:razz:.

Empty Pockets

My intention was never to spark a debate about which is better. I just figured the Chevy small block has been around for 50 plus years. Their potential is limitless. Parts can be obtained anywhere and if you blow one up you just throw another one in and off you go. Besides that was already in my truck when I bought it. Sure the additional HP is an added bonus. There will always be purists who want their CUCVs with a 6.2. I'm not trying say my truck is better. I just wanted to share some pictures of my newly acquired truck. I don't claim it to be all military which is why I called it a hybrid. Besides for what I paid for this truck running and inspected, most guys are paying that for parts trucks.

V8Astro

It could have a Toyota 2JZ in it...either way you scored a bullet proof truck with a new engine and spiffy new interior.2cents

Good to go as I see it!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks