• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 M1008 Hybrid

Empty Pockets

You are right V8Astro the truck is pretty much bullet proof. When I was building mud trucks the Dana 60 and Corporate 14 were highly sought after because of their indestructibility. You actually have to try to break one. Right now in my area the Dana 60 and 14 bolt sell for about $2400 for the pair for used take outs. There has been countless articles in the 4 wheel drive mags about their strength. This is the most rugged built pickup I have ever owned. I look forward to putting it through it's paces and see what it is truly capable of. As the price of new trucks continue to rise above the 30 thousand mark, many of these old work horses are going to be picked up, refurbished, and put back to work.

chevyCUCV

Wow junkyards around here are littered with dump trucks, all have d60 and 14b rears.
I bet i could get matching sets for 300-500 from the local places.

Nice truck and im curious how it will be overall with the engine/gearing combo.

that1028guy

I'm running 34x10.50x16 with stock susp and haven't had any problems. The ORD shackle flip, and new frt springs are on the to-do list. Welcome to the club!

Empty Pockets

I just wanted to give a quick update on my M1008. With the mild winter we have been having here. I was able to mount and install the shackle mounts, brush guard, blackout light, and bridge plate. I would like to thank deuceman51 for supplying the parts my truck was missing. Thanks Troy! I have purchased a quick connect jump start setup for the truck. This is the civilian version of the slave cable setup. It will prove itself to be very useful around the house. As of this posting I'm getting around 14-16mpg around town depending on what i'm hauling. Which isn't terrible. I have not had it on the highway yet so I don't have any figures for it. I still would like to install larger tires but I will wait until the stock ones are worn out.

Attachments

Empty Pockets

Yeah I'm not complaining. I credit the fresh GM performance parts crate engine. I imagine on the highway it will be a lot worse because I will have to get the rpms a lot more to keep up with traffic.

Goose2448

I ran about 4000 RPMs at 65 or 70. Yeah thats a lot, but I red lined at 7000. Most likely your mileage will go up a few or stay the same. Not like the new cars where it gets 30 in town and 50 on the highway. I dont think you have the same engine I had, but mine ran like a raped ape. Got it to 140 once and only once.

Empty Pockets

I'm thinking to run 65-70 I will be about 4500 rpms. The engine started out as a GM performance parts 330hp crate motor. Since then it has few bolt on parts mostly full length headers and a 3 inch true dual exhaust with no cat. Aluminum high rise intake. With a 20 percent power lose through drive train I figure I'm getting about 260hp to the rear wheels. Plenty of power to fry the tires if I wanted too. Not that I would though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks