• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 m1009

jasted75

Hello everyone! I am new to the MV game and I have found myself a decent m1009 to start off with. I just have a few questions first...

At least for a little while, I want this truck to be my daily driver. It has 57k miles and the motor appears to be in great mechanical condition. I have done a lot of research in the past weeks, much of which on this site. Are these trucks reliable enough for me to be reasonable comfortable with it as my daily driver? The drawback of learning about a vehicle from forums is that most posts are about one problem or another. GENERALLY, should this vehicle be reliable? What common problems (if any) should I be prepared for by parts or tools I carry with me?

I am supposed to pick the truck up in two weeks. It is straight from the Army and has not been privately owned before. I know I have to install some kind of license plate holder with lights for it to pass inspection here in NC. Other than that I am hoping it is ready to go.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say that the Oh-9 would be a great candidate for a DD. Once you work out the little quirks and understand what it takes to jump start it, should you need it, you will be just fine with the truck.

Whitey

Anything with 20-25 years on it is gonna have little age related issues. I like tinkering with my vehicles on the weekend, so vehicles of this age are perfect for me. If you either don't have the skills or the desire to turn wrenches, go buy a new BMW. More than likely, you'll probably just get the green fever worse and worse like everyone else on here. Save space on the driveway for a 5 Ton! Best of luck, you'll like it. :grd:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember it's 26 years old. Would you consider a 1985 Honda Accord or 1985 Ford Taurus as a daily driver? What are your daily driving habits/needs?

For fun, they are great. As a replacement for a 2003 Pickup truck, no comparison.

You either want one and fix whatever happens, or it's the wrong vehicle for you. They make great toys.

91W350

A great light duty truck! Jump in and run its wheels off. We have two and love them. I would go about anywhere with mine, good mileage, simple to fix and pretty capable off road. The major issues always seems to be the glow system and fuel issues, occasionally a charging issue. The rest is just standard old school mechanics. We also have a M1008 and we run two of the three everyday. The wife has a small car, for some reason she wants air, cruise and a quiet ride... Glen

Last edited:

dragon1124

Welcome to the site, and an MV. Let me start by saying I purchased a 1984 M1009. With 68k miles on her. I am still getting her back to condition. As with some used vehicles, mine had problems right from the get go. Download all the Tech Manuals, I have mine saved on a flash drive I keep with me at all times. For tools I keep a standard metric socket set, I plan to get a multimeter to help out with the electrical troubleshooting. I've had to change both batteries, rebuild both alternators, got a new glow plug relay, I just received a new set of glow plugs which I need to find a mechanic to install. When I got mine in running condition, YES it has been a great daily driver for me. It's comfortable for me, handles well in the snow here in Chicago. 4wd works wonders. The only down fall for me is no radio. I have gotten used to not listening to any music while driving now lol. A lot of members will tell you to clean all electrical connections, and I will agree with them.
I'm a new MV owner myself, and every post I've done with help request, everyone here is very knowledgeable, and helped me out greatly.

The Doghead starter relay modification seems to help a lot of vehicles on here. I cant do that until I get the original 24v starter purchased and installed. That is my next to do on my M1009.

Napoleon_Tanerite

mY '84 M1009 has been my daily driver for about 18 months. I've added a lot of creature comfort things to it such as stereo, air conditioning, and a lot of insulation. It's still a noisy beast (one of my few complaints) but other than that it's a great DD. Maintenance wise it's been pretty easy. It leaks oil from somewhere on the driver's side (not sure where, don't care enough to find it). I've changed all the belts, all the fluid except the transmission, and the rear driveshaft U joints. I've also replaced both batteries and all four tires.

67_C-30

I have been driving 6.2 trucks about 15 years due to the economy of them. I have always been able to buy them cheap, and I have had two that I quit driving driving because the truck was so worn out that I couldn't justify the money to fix everything it needed. One had 339K and the other had 282K. I now drive my M1009 everyday, and I love it. I've never bought one with less than around 170K miles, so I expect to be driving this one a long time! That's fine by me!

beltfedonly

M1009

I am just a few miles from you at Buckhorn Lake. If it doesn't work out for you let me know as I might be interested in another M1009. Good luck and enjoy!

thecbldad

I'm new to the site but not the busted knuckles and frustration that comes with older cars and trucks! I will say you have found the premier site for issues with your MV these guys have shown this old dog some new tricks (Thanks SS for all your help so far)
Best advice has already been given keep the TM's close by! between them and the search on the site you will find all the help you will ever need, just remember "if it ain't broke maintain it!!".
As far DD I run the wheels off my 1009 with very few issues. There great trucks!

Capt.Marion

The vast majority of the CUCV's issues are either electrical first or secondly, the front end.

The electrical system is like everyone has been saying- It's a quarter of a century old, so it generally needs some cleaning and double checking, especially of the ground connections. Also, since it has a combined 12/24V electrical system, it can be a tad confusing until you get your head wrapped around it.

The front end problems are again, 25-year-old front-end problems that have been driven hard. They are usually remedied by replacing a few parts (easy to get since they are all standard mid-80s 4wd K5 Blazer (w/ 6.2 Diesel) parts).

Generally, if you start having electrical or front end problems, you do a major cleanup/repair of each system. By the time you're done with that, you'll have gone through almost the entirety of each system, and you should have no further problems. Once you conquer the few issues, they seem to be great trucks to drive.

Hogg

How bout this for reliablity... This morning, I went out to warm up my 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum 4x4 daily driver.... Had a cold front move in over the weekend so it was about 28* this morning here in Ardmore, Oklahoma (thats in Oklahoma).... Yada Yada Yada... The F-150 wont start, wont even turn over, deadern sh*t... Needless to say I had to use the 84' M1009 that busted right off to jump it so I could go to work... I would drive my M1009 everday if I didnt have to travel as much 150-200 miles a day

jasted75

Thanks everyone for the advice. I hope it works out for me. I am no stranger to busted knuckles, but I admit, I know very little about diesels. I don't mind working on it, just don't want something I have to "fix" every week so it will keep driving.

I am just a few miles from you at Buckhorn Lake. If it doesn't work out for you let me know as I might be interested in another M1009. Good luck and enjoy!
Yeah, I am just a few miles from buckhorn off Hwy 222. (I fish there often)
I have also seen the CMVPA muesum is close by as well. (Carolina Military Vehicle Preservation Association)

Thanks again,
Jason

91W350

Zero here this morning and they both fired right off. Takes a few seconds longer for the plugs to cycle.... We never had any front end problems, but I am sure as we get closer to 100K something will show up. I do not expect any front end problems out of the M1008. You have to love a Dana 60....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks