• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 m1010 batteries die when parked help?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are you leaving the service light switch? That can cause a draw but not dead batteries in 24 hrs. You have something spilling over. Have your batteries been load tested? What are the voltages at each battery when they are dead? If you have a draw off the 12V side, just the front battery will be dead.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were they load tested? Check the voltage at each battery when they are dead and report that back. Need more info to help you.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check for bad diode in one or both alternators, they will charge as they should, but will kill the batteries, switch on or off.

papakb

Go over to Sears and buy one of their inexpensive clamp on current meters. Measure the current draw from the batteries with the engine off and start disconnecting things until the current draw drops to 0. Once you know which channel is drawing the batteries down you should be able to figure out what's killing them.

You didn't mention how old your batteries are and that could be a factor too. Disconnect them and let them sit overnight and then do a specific gravity test on them. If they're still dead it's time for new batteries.

Kurt

KG6KMJ

tourus

When I got my 1010 I found the same thing.. batteries would be dead in a few days. what I found was the electric magnet for the a/c unit on the engine for the box was staying on all the time. big draw. also found the black out light for the brake light was on fix the switch by the brake pedal fix the problem. you will keep looking for a constant draw with the key off. good luck. there is no clear cut one thing we can all say that is your big one thing fix. you are going to have to keep looking until you find it.
but things to check. all the black out lights make sure they are going off. a/c pump magnet. make sure there is nothings left on in the box. heater motor or fan motor. or could have a bad alternator or starter grounding out.

41cl8m5

If you leave the switch in service drive a relay is engaged that controls power to the spot light on the roof. The tm says to position the switch in the off position after you are done operating the vehicle for the day. It was easier to keep the procedure the same for the 1980's cucv to keep it simple. The rest of the cucv series is fine with leaving the switch in the service drive position, only the m1010 has the situation but the relay should take a few days to drain the batteries so the starter will not actuate.
I believe the idea was to shut down the spot light and the the two side service lights when the switch is in black out mode or off. Neat idea to use a relay to control the operation of power going to or not going to the switch that powers all normal lights and also the horn. It's a visual and sound control in night operations in the field when you are trying not to give away your position.

m38inmaine

The AC relay is under the driver side litter/stretcher box. There is a cover over a bunch of relays, it should be a white one. Mine did the same thing, I took the relay apart and replaced the diode.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks