• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 m998 glow plug possibly?

drivebymashing

I had a smart start box fry recently beucase it was full of water from previous owner. I installed new glow plugs new kascar grounding harness and new used smart box. I threaded connector on smart box and nothing happened when i turned key on. So i checked connections The connector was a little wonky. I tightened it up and it started within 3 seconds after i finished tighening connection the wait to start light went out just like it should. ....Today the light comes on and goes off and just cranks and cranks no start. I hit it with ether.. and it started. Im assuming if i fried the box by not having it fully connected with batteries hooked up It wouldnt of started yesterday so quick. What happened? Any input? Thanks!!

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be my first guess or the used box wasn't good to begin with. NEVER EVER USE ETHER!!!!!!!! You might need some new glow plugs too now.

drivebymashing

Well found something interesting... My humvee came from Mississippi foresty. There is a hole drilled in the dog box with a hose that goes into the top of the intake where the plastic boot comes from filter... for.... you guessed it ether injection... Ill pull the glow plugs to see what they look like. Also my diesel fuel is 3 years old. Never crossed my mind the cetane rating is probably close to zero...

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well found something interesting... My humvee came from Mississippi foresty. There is a hole drilled in the dog box with a hose that goes into the top of the intake where the plastic boot comes from filter... for.... you guessed it ether injection... Ill pull the glow plugs to see what they look like. Also my diesel fuel is 3 years old. Never crossed my mind the cetane rating is probably close to zero...

Drain the fuel tank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks