• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 Camp Shelby M1008 Restoration

ChrisG

I would really like to see a few more side view pics of this truck with the 6" rough country lift. This is the lift I will be installing once they become available hopefully around the 8th of April...so they say.
Nice work on the build... I like the door panel rehab in particular, I will be doing that.

Jlprober

Hey will you have to run the electronic booster fuel pump from the 6.5 and put it on the 6.2 in order for it to run right? I was looking to do this but did not want my mechanical engine to have any electronics on it.

rlltide12

Yep. But an electronic pump is just nearly as dumb as a mechanical pump. Plus it will be easier to change if need be.

rlltide12

You can get away without an electric fuel pump if you have a bung welded into your oil pan. That way the mechanical pump can stay and the oil is drained to the bung from the turbo

Drock

You can get away without an electric fuel pump if you have a bung welded into your oil pan. That way the mechanical pump can stay and the oil is drained to the bung from the turbo
Agree, the banks kit I just installed uses the stock fuel pump but replaces the stock fuel pump adapter plate with one that has a 3\8" tube welded to it for the oil return.

rlltide12

Updating my progress. The turbo has been quite the add on for power. Truck is much more driveable and actually runs well with traffic. I never let the boost get much over 9 psi and EGTs have not been a problem even with a trailer in tow. Getting approximately 18 mpg if I dont lead foot around. Some updated pics of the install...

Turbo initial installation
uploadfromtaptalk1447733993729.jpg

Exhaust routing
uploadfromtaptalk1447734039286.jpg

Exhaust exit
uploadfromtaptalk1447734063525.jpg

Battery relocation to tool box
uploadfromtaptalk1447734167284.jpg

Gauge install in dash
uploadfromtaptalk1447734203242.jpg

And seeing as how this is a constantly continuing project, a 24 volt MRAP 18k winch will soon be tucked inside a front bumper as well as onboard air installed...more to come!
uploadfromtaptalk1447734275416.jpg

rlltide12

Mock up pictures. Used 3/16" peg board, a hot glue gun, and a jig saw to build the pattern.

After mock up, i measured it all up and drew it in autoCAD. Here are the results.

Tried to keep the military grill guard theme with the original pieces. Turned out better than i thought. Going to coat it with linex next.

rlltide12

Winch power hookup. Works great. But bad news. Winch motor appears to be bad. Have to hit it with a hammer to get it to start, and when it does, the motor is very slow to begin with then speeds up. Now to disassemble it.

Drock

I see a WARN emblem on there. Those are rebuildable , heck it's most likely just a take it apart, clean it, grease it, throw it back together kinda thing. You figure they spend there lives sitting in the weather, it's probably just dry?

rlltide12

The problem with these military versions is the motor and solenoids are potted in rubber of some sort. I dont know how I will get it apart.

Drock

That looks really good[thumbzup]!! I like it even though I liked the yellow bumper:wink:, Maybe you could paint the hook & D-rings yellow for nostalgic purposes. Have you had a chance to try out the winch? And how bad was getting it rebuilt?

rlltide12

Winch rebuild wasnt bad. Got to try the winch once. 03 duramax crew cab sunk to the frame. Tied the truck to a telephone pole and the winch never groaned. Definitly a strong unit. Thanks guys

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks