• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

Today sure did turn out to a very dreary wet day. I guess I will stay inside and work in the basement. I can reassemble the vent /wing windows. I will post pictures later of my progress. I am sure I can find enough to keep me busy. Be Safe.

cucvrus

By lunch time it has been a successful day here in my basement. I want to say this vent/wing window rubber job is not an easy task. I done 2 sets and I did learn that no matter if they are GM or aftermarket they fit about the same. One tip I will give is do NOT spray silicone spray on the rubbers or the channel before installation. That makes it twice as hard to keep in the track once you get it in. Clean and dry is the best method I can recommend. I also advise using the pivot rivets with the special tool was the way to go and it is very easy to use and the rivets worked great. The M4 acorn nuts were not going to stay tight. I could not find a small shoulder screw. Now I must find a place to buy pivot rivets. I don't want to buy the entire kit. I used my 10/24 truss screws and they worked great. DSCF7098.JPGDSCF7099.JPGDSCF7100.JPGDSCF7101.JPGDSCF7102.JPGDSCF7103.JPGDSCF7104.JPGDSCF7104.JPGDSCF7106.JPGDSCF7107.JPGIn my opinion the seals fit perfect. I will discuss the handles on my next pot. That was not the best replacement parts but I did manage to complete my repairs and that was my goal from the get go. Be Safe. I am NOT going to install these wing vents today. It is too cold and damp out in the barn. There will be better days coming. Thank you for looking and the positive support. I hope this helps persuade you to change your seals. I thought about offering a rebuild service. You can buy entire wing vents for $199.

Attachments

cucvrus

OK now I will discuss my findings on the latch kits I purchased from Brothers. If I were to just install the entire kits they would work 100% fine. But as much as I paid attention to detail I wanted to retain the black handles and the black outer wing vent anchors. The chrome set of handles would have went right on a fit perfect. But I wanted the black anchors and black handles as most of you people will. So basically you are buying the kits to use the rubbers spacers and the roll pins. Sorry but it cost a few dollars more to do it right. I got away with just using 1 kit because they give you enough of the seals and nylon washers to do both sides. Even the inner hub will not fit the OEM glass anchors. Clean and use all the old parts. I used 3 in 1 oil and got great results. these wing vents look every bit as good as the brand new GM ones I had a few years back. Back in the mid 90's they were only about $75. complete but again I removed the latches and used the CUCV black parts. Good Luck, Be Safe and Take Care of one another, These are trying times we are experiencing so make the best of it. Thank you for your support. I have saws to work on the rest of the day. Inside in my basement. DSCF7103.JPGLeft side complete. DSCF7106.JPGYou can trash or save the hardware from the new handles. DSCF7107.JPGThe proper fit in the bottom corner. DSCF7108.JPG Right side complete.DSCF7109.JPGThe lower screws are double nutted and stripped. DSCF7110.JPGThe pivot rivet tool.

cucvrus

To I went out in the barn and gathered the remaining parts to assemble the doors. I will clean and oil the regulators. I have new ones but these still look good. It has only been 12 years since I cleaned and oiled them. The door panels still look great. They were new back when I rebuilt it in 2007. The arm rest pads need to be re-dyed but no problem. I will post updates later today. I want to get moving on getting the doors back together. Still need the mirrors painted. Maybe today. Maybe. I have a Back hoe here that needs a hydraulic line replaced. And it is one that runs up the hoe mast. And I know why they brought it to me. All is well. Time is all I have today. 1 county away they are on self quarantine. Governors orders. Be Safe. DSCF7113.JPGDSCF7114.JPGDSCF7115.JPGDSCF7115.JPG

cucvrus

This is a very helpful YouTube video. I have the windows back in the door and wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly. I have done this hundreds of times but am never above reviewing a procedure to refresh my memory or learn some new tips. this is the first time I seen this video. I will post pictures later. Take Care. Be Safe.

cucvrus

Today was a successful day. I did manage to get both wing/vent windows, DSCF7118.JPGDSCF7120.JPG windows, regulators and window rubbers in place. Before you begin make sure the J nut is in place below the wing vent. DSCF7116.JPGDSCF7119.JPGDSCF7117.JPGIf you don't have it in place when you start you will be attempting for a long time to get one in place. Secure that J nut with an alignment tool and then get the lag screw in place. Not tight but in place and securing the J nut. Next get the 3 screw and 2 funnel washers in place and tight. Put the upper screw in last with the flat washer. Next load the regulator into the door and put the crank stem thru the hole. With a helper holding the glass almost all the way up put the guide wheels into the sash and door side channels. Get the window regulator lined up with the 4 holes centering the drive stem in the middle of the hole. Tighten the regulator. Install the rear window guide into the door with the glass cranked up tight. Adjust the bracket loosely. Now you can install the new felt runs and use a silicone based spray and slide the rubber in place. Crank the window up and down and adjust and tighten the rear guide track as needed. Also you can tweak and adjust the wing vent side lower window track slightly ifDSCF7121.JPGDSCF7122.JPGDSCF7123.JPGDSCF7124.JPGDSCF7125.JPG needed. Install the outer belt rubber moldings/ wipes. Thoroughly clean the windows and call it a day. I still failed to paint the mirrors. Now that the truck has all the glass it could sit outside over night if the need arises. Next I will grease the roller guide sash tracks and the regulator gears and pivot points. That will be another day. I am Happy with the weekend progress and exceeded my goal for today. The Kubota hydraulic hose was also easy. I must wait for a replacement from the hydraulic shop. Thank you for looking. I hope it helps out someone attempting the same task. it is always fun to work on my projects. I learn something everyday. The Brothers door seal set gets my seal of approval. I have 1 original GM door glass run left and one slightly used GM door seal run. My luck is they are both the same side. I haven't looked. I will used them on Little Red M1009. I did go look at the door seals on Little Red and they were like fresh potato chips. Crispy to the touch. But I learned about the metal clip on the corner of the new rubbers. it hooks on the door sheet metal. Be Safe.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I got called back to my regular job today at 0545. Told to be there at 0600. Short notice. Arrived at 0630 and was informed to maintain social distance. Also no 2 people in same vehicle. They are suggesting a divider tent/barrier in the vehicle. Reminded me of the Nova in Deathproof. More later. I hope to get back to my irregular work real soon. And maybe get this M1009 project under wraps. Weather related delays along with COVID19. Be Safe Take Care.

Lostforwords

I got called back to my regular job today at 0545. Told to be there at 0600. Short notice. Arrived at 0630 and was informed to maintain social distance. Also no 2 people in same vehicle. They are suggesting a divider tent/barrier in the vehicle. Reminded me of the Nova in Deathproof. More later. I hope to get back to my irregular work real soon. And maybe get this M1009 project under wraps. Weather related delays along with COVID19. Be Safe Take Care.

Make sure you got on some PPE Rick! Hoping nothing but safety for you and yours!

cucvrus

I was calling around for 5 new tires for my M1009 project. I have decided that these are the tires I want. I 006.JPGhave used them on several CUCV's and they are great tires. 007.JPG007.JPGThey give the M1009 the look I want. 011 - Copy.JPG026.JPGThese are pictures on my 2015 build. The Mule M1009. Take Care and Be Safe. Several shops were closed and a few said they will have to get back to me on availability right now. All is well. No rush job here.

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was calling around for 5 new tires for my M1009 project. I have decided that these are the tires I want. I View attachment 794365have used them on several CUCV's and they are great tires. View attachment 794366View attachment 794366They give the M1009 the look I want. View attachment 794368View attachment 794369These are pictures on my 2015 build. The Mule M1009. Take Care and Be Safe. Several shops were closed and a few said they will have to get back to me on availability right now. All is well. No rush job here.
They do LOOK nice.....................
"someone is getting some NEW SHOES!" LOL

cucvrus

I am actually getting excited at this point. The launch date is getting real close. today after working I hauled the 5 painted steel stock rims to the tire shop. I did the deal on the phone and had to stay back 6 feet from the door. They came out and unloaded the rims from my pick up. It is a strange world we are living in these days. I have people at work spraying door knobs with bleach and running as they exit the bathroom because someone is close behind. And he saw someone else approaching. I must complete a form each time I exit the property that I have inspected the truck for the Spotted Lantern Fly. I can't make this stuff up. 1 person in each vehicle. This too shall pass. Anyway at the tire shop they have caution tape strung up and it is 6 feet in front of the counter and you speak to the tire salesman via loud talk. All is well. Take Care and Be Safe. The entire state is on stay at home orders and I must go to work as essential. OK with me. I never collected unemployment in my life. So life is normal. I have my Homeland Security letter to travel with. More later. Time to rest after the long walks I had to take today while moving vehicles. No one was allowed to pick me up. Anybody have any M9 gas masks? I would be lost without a pick up truck.DSCF7134.JPGDSCF7133.JPG

cucvrus

Today I made great progress.DSCF7143.JPGDSCF7144.JPGDSCF7145.JPG I went and picked up my new tires and installed them on my M1009. DSCF7146.JPGHuge improvement in appearance. DSCF7147.JPGDSCF7148.JPGDSCF7149.JPGDSCF7150.JPGDSCF7151.JPGDSCF7152.JPGThe mirrors have been painted at a remote location in a heated garage. I was able to back the M1009 out in the driveway and I washed it. Next I want to get scrubbing the Line X floor and continue getting ahead on other parts to install. I overlooked the seatbelts I will get on them and clean and oil them before I install them. then it will be time to scrub the seats. Thank you for looking. The virus is effecting my working hours. I smashed a few cars today at the crusher and started home at 230 to work in my shop. I am happy with the progress. Be Safe and Stay Safe.

cucvrus

I must also say the NEW stock springs gave the M1009 a much needed ride height. I remember when they were new they sat high like this. After 30+ years the old leaf springs are fatigued. Happy with the end results. I have a set of new leaf spring for an M1008 laying out in the fieldDSCF7150.JPG. The 4 leaf plow type for front and new stock rear springs used 1 season.

Last edited:

cucvrus

DSCF7153.JPGDSCF7154.JPGI noticed that the rear axle vent was not on the truck. The axle was capped. I measure a new piece of 5/16" hose and installed a new line with a clean vent. That was easy. After that I rolled around on the creeper double and triple checking every bolt I could touch. I checked the fluids in the differentials and the transfer case. All is dry under there at this time no leaks. which is good. I pulled a seat out and scrubbed it I think it came out really nice. I had the bottoms reupholstered back 12 years ago. I could have just put some Avalanche or Escalade seats in it. NOT. DSCF7155.JPGDSCF7156.JPGAlso the seats have the recliner hardware and I left the gray mechanism covers on the seats. They match the stock gray seat pedestals. I used the Simple Green and a stiff scrub brush. I also used a white 3M scratch pad. I think they could get a bit cleaner but feel I will be getting it out to the alignment shop and driving it around to work out any bugs that may arise. I don't think so but it is possible. DSCF7157.JPGDSCF7158.JPGI am in for supper and am going out to scrub the passengers seat and the rear seat. More later. Be Safe and Take Care.

cucvrus

Passengers side seat has its normal broken mechanism cover. DSCF7159.JPGI was fortunate to have an original replacement. DSCF7163.JPGThe passengers seat is all original and is a bit thin at the stitching in the seat cushion. It cleaned up well. DSCF7160.JPGI also located a decent set of seatbelts. About as decent as you can get on 35 year old vehicle interior parts. DSCF7162.JPGAlso have the original dash pad. DSCF7161.JPGIt is a bit dirty and has a small damaged area on the left corner radius from someone prying their way thru the left wing vent window back 20 years ago. Never saw someone so dumb that they went thru the vent window and still never opened the door. The culprit was never caught. I have a plan to make a cover for the damaged area. Sort of a waste to scrap the dash pad because of the slight cuts. When the door is closed you don't even see it. Out of sight out of mind. Take Care and Be Safe. This is like a bad dream here where I live. I have a plexi-glass divider in my work truck. It was installed by the safety department. Crazy stuff going on here. Thank you for looking. Rain tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks