• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

Tonight I went out and searched my barn and sheds for a decent donor passengers seat bottom cushion. Remember these trucks are very old I have had parts stored for 25 years and some are not as nice as others. Others are nice just plain filthy. DSCF7165.JPGDSCF7166.JPGDSCF7167.JPGDSCF7168.JPGRub-a-dub-dub. I think it will clean up just fine. It has been out of the sunlight in the 3rd floor area of the barn. DSCF7169.JPGYou would never know that was the same lower seat cushion. The old one didn't make the cut. DSCF7173.JPGDSCF7172.JPGThis new replacement is nice and solid on the bottom side also. DSCF7170.JPGDSCF7171.JPGI don't recall CUCV M1009's having the right outer cable cover trim. I am removing the pedestals to paint them flat black. That gray is scratched and worn. Can't skip the details. Be Safe. Thank you for the positive support and encouragement. As I was looking I came across my emblem box. I collected all these emblems growing up in the automotive business. DSCF7164.JPG

cucvrus

As I was searching for parts and handing them down to the Wife. I told her I was done shopping for the night and she should ring me up. She delivered the parts in the Rick Zone carrier. Nice. DSCF7177.JPGM1009 Seatbelts that have a useable retractor button are getting hard to come by. Most the UV has decayed to the point of unusable. The belts still work but always want to retract and are tight from thinking the door is open for egress. DSCF7174.JPGMan that Mean Green can clean. DSCF7175.JPGDSCF7175.JPGDSCF7176.JPGDSCF7178.JPGI also have 2 decent seat belt buckle ends. Not perfect but decent. I kept the para cord on the seat base to hold them up and had a console for all the years I owned it. Being that this M1009 only had 3300 miles on it when I bought it in 1996 it had a mild life of abuse by the military. Be Safe. Be Careful. Thank you for looking. More work tomorrow if the weather holds out. Lots of scrubbing and cleaning then the installation should go smoothly. Thank you. I hope it gives you some ideas. The weather is great for working outside. I don't have a professional shop just a barn and a garden hose. But lots of ideas and extra energy.

Lostforwords

Tonight I went out and searched my barn and sheds for a decent donor passengers seat bottom cushion. Remember these trucks are very old I have had parts stored for 25 years and some are not as nice as others. Others are nice just plain filthy. View attachment 795309View attachment 795310View attachment 795311View attachment 795312Rub-a-dub-dub. I think it will clean up just fine. It has been out of the sunlight in the 3rd floor area of the barn. View attachment 795313You would never know that was the same lower seat cushion. The old one didn't make the cut. View attachment 795317View attachment 795316This new replacement is nice and solid on the bottom side also. View attachment 795314View attachment 795315I don't recall CUCV M1009's having the right outer cable cover trim. I am removing the pedestals to paint them flat black. That gray is scratched and worn. Can't skip the details. Be Safe. Thank you for the positive support and encouragement. As I was looking I came across my emblem box. I collected all these emblems growing up in the automotive business. View attachment 795308
Night and day difference! Beautiful work Rick!

cucvrus

You ever have one of them days when everything just goes bad. Today was one of them days. We had winds like a tornado and then it rained and now the winds have kicked up again. In the name of safety and rest time I went out and opened my doors and the winds were beating the doors off the barn. I closed them and came back up to the house. I don't want to risk things getting blown over in the garage and falling on my build so I will call it a wrap today. I did gather the trash and swept the floor. that needs done also. So that was a step in the right direction. Be Safe and Take Care. Thank you for the support.

cucvrus

Today was very windy here in Jonestown. I feared working outside in the wind. I need to get my M1009 out in the daylight to scrub the floor and begin assembling the interior trim. I can't rush this task. I want the complete project to reflect my efforts. I can do fast work if needed. but no need to error on this intense project. I have too much time invested in it. Hoping for better weather tomorrow. This virus scare is not helping either. People are acting crazy of some like me are just setting back and watching. WOW. Driving in cars with windows up wearing masks. Smoking and putting the mask on and off as they smoke. If I were to wake up and this was a dream. I would fear telling anyone about the dream. I will try very hard to get mirrors and wiper on this weekend. Be safe and Take Care.

cucvrus

Today was a successful day. The after market mirrors worked out OK. Not perfect but I am semi pleased with them. The paint came out great.DSCF7185.JPG I always have issues with these mirrors during installation. But the spacer reinforcements are in placeDSCF7186.JPGDSCF7187.JPGDSCF7188.JPGDSCF7189.JPGDSCF7190.JPG I used all the stock fasteners and I like the outcome.DSCF7191.JPGDSCF7192.JPGThese mirrors will do the job. I was also making a lot of head way at getting other parts cleaned and painted. Finishing touches are coming along nicely. Thank you for looking and all the positive support. Be Safe and Take Care.

cucvrus

I had thought a lot about how I wanted to proceed with getting the interior clean. I blew it out with compressed air. I vacuumed it out. I was still wanting the black to be blacker and cleaner looking. I sprayed the floor with Simple Green and scrubbed it with a stiff nylon brush. I scrubbed it out a few times. It still ahs a few minor stains bit after sitting outside for 10 years with parts laying on the floor I was happy it came out as good as it did. I am going to start interior reassembly from the rear tomorrow, I think that will be the easiest and most efficient way to complete that. Never left the property today. Cut wood and worked on fence while the CUCVDSCF7195.JPGDSCF7196.JPGDSCF7197.JPG dried in the warm air.DSCF7198.JPGDSCF7199.JPGDSCF7199.JPGDSCF7200.JPGDSCF7200.JPGThank you for looking. I hope it can encourage you to get out and enjoy the Spring weather. I will post more progress later. The mirrors are on and the M1009 is back in the barn for the night. Take Care, Be Safe.

D6T

Thank you for looking. I hope it can encourage you to get out and enjoy the Spring weather. I will post more progress later. The mirrors are on and the M1009 is back in the barn for the night. Take Care, Be Safe.
I really appreciate the stripped down photos. I save them as guides for myself so I can tell what some details “should” be, and correct them as needed, as I slowly restore my wife’s M1009.

cucvrus

Yesterday I did have a little time to do some work. Most of the day I spent with family. I was out in the barn early on in the day and I came across a box with some new GM brake pedal pads. DSCF7201.JPGDSCF7202.JPGI am thinking these were for some Chevrolet Caprice Police Cares I used to have but thought they would fit the CUCV. I always liked the Disc brake logo on the rubber brake pedal pad and these didn't have that. DSCF7203.JPGDSCF7204.JPGThe one I had was worn and after all the work I done to this M1009 I thought it was worthy of replacement.DSCF7205.JPG I have a customer eagerly waiting for delivery of this M1009 and then that opens up another chapter in my life. I have 2 more CUCV's to complete before I officially retire from this hobby. My next one is Little Red. Been sitting in the center bay of my barn since 1996 and I am excited to begin the transformation. Mechanically this is 100% and underside and driveline are complete. I need to get it over in my work bay after I complete my current build. That is what is coming to CUCVRUS Summer 2020. I should have just left the damaged 1/4's from the antenna brackets. it would be a survivor. 1984 M1009 built in 1983. I think an early one. DSCF7206.JPGDSCF7207.JPGDSCF7208.JPGI just salvaged all the 2 x 10 Fir for scaffold boards and made it easier on myself to store them under the M1009. I do plan on sanding, sealing, cleating, and reinforcing the boards before I use them. I need to repaint a few buildings this summer also. Mainly my barn is getting a little rough around the base from rain water. Take Care. Be safe and Thank You for the support. Today the wind and rain have kept me at bay. Interesting point. Back in 1972 my neighbor bought a brand new K 5 Blazer and it was the first time I seen Disc Brakes on a Chevrolet pick up. I think that was the first year they became standard. Could be 71. But they also had a small sticker on the tailgate that said Disc Brakes. Decal2disc brakes.jpgDo you remember that? s-l300chrome disc.jpg

cucvrus

Unseasonal weather has slowed my project progress. That and the fact that everything is moving at a snails pace due to the COVID19 virus. I am still working and covering for others that are self quarantining. My papers are in order. I have been branded as an essential employee. So I have that going for me. Which is good. I also attempted to mail a few packages yesterday and was greeted with a line that was longer than the hours the shipper would be open. I picked up a few boxes and went home to package more stuff. Speed the process. The post office has a clear plastic sheet hanging from the ceiling and some people wearing gloves and masks and others like me traveling and living with the norm. Same at work. The door knobs are all corroded from being sprayed with bleach and sanitizer. I can't wait to get back to some normalcy. I did get the M1009 rear seat out of storage last evening and placed it near the scrub down area. I don't like scrubbing in cold windy conditions so I will wait till the weather changes. With a little luck I can make some progress daily again. I hope real soon. Most stuff I have to do for completion now is minor but I need time and warm weather to really get cooking again. Old, cold, tired, and cranky are no time to work on your projects you love. Relaxing in the chair with my eyes closed during those times makes it better when the weather does change. Something has to give soon. I feel like this is a strange dream and I will wake up soon. COVID19 can exit now. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

DSCF7212.JPGDSCF7211.JPGToday I was able to get the rear seat scrubbed clean I installed the seatbelts. DSCF7213.JPGDSCF7214.JPGI don't see many that still stand by themselves. DSCF7216.JPGI installed the rear seat. Note the arm rests. I bought them from the Chevrolet dealer back when you could still buy new parts. I also installed the spare tire. I bought all 5 new tires so everything looked great and matched. I sanded and painted the right seat pedestal. The seat bases were made by MTD from what I see on the stamping. I still need to find some more parts. I spent an hour looking for a correct seat belt bolt. I had the tire tie down hardware in my hand a few weeks back and now I can't find it. Too much multi tasking. I will give it another roll over the weekend. I keep finding things I am not looking for. DSCF7215.JPG
Thank you for looking. It is still cold out. I hope it warms up soon. I mean cold for spraying paint and getting wet. Take Care. Be Safe.

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Machine Tool and Die".......made a bunch of stuff, including lawn tractors....lol.....my *09 also has armrests in the rear......about the only similarity........mines a bit more "used" to put it VERY kindly......someone will get a vehicle they can truly enjoy......... appreciate the effort and pics Rick!!

cucvrus

No progress again. It has been cold here and I am overwhelmed with my regular job. People shortage and virus fears have things crawling along. Hoping for some progress this weekend. Hope the weather cooperates. I have a car here that needs the brake line replaced or repaired under the rear suspension. It is relation so I am the go to guy. I would have done it today but it rained again. No work in rain while I am outside in the dirt. Hope to get it completed tomorrow. Be Safe.

cucvrus

After tolerating terrible weather and getting nothing done on my project for a few days I got tired of looking at a seat pedestal with no seat. Today the weather was wonderful. DSCF7218.JPG Time to make the moves count. I moved the M1009 out into the yard. DSCF7223.JPGDSCF7224.JPG
I set up my table outside in the sunlight and went to work.DSCF7225.JPG It was a struggle finding a few parts to get the results I wanted but I was
on the hunt. DSCF7226.JPGPassengers seat all assembled and installed. DSCF7227.JPGNext drivers seat. DSCF7228.JPG Now onto the door panels. I cleaned and soaked these door panels in Armor All for 2 weeks. They are clean and in great shape. Brand new 12 years ago. DSCF7229.JPGDSCF7230.JPG I also had the new lock knobs and I put the new 1990 window cranks on. I had painted pull handles but they failed to hold paint so I left them chrome again. Thank you for looking and Be Safe. I will post again. I have more progress to report. I have been unable to find the Trico wiper blades and may settle for Anco. I still have a ways to go to complete. But I am happy with the results thus far.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks