• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 m1008 front end shaking

VLAD1234

I posted a thread a few days ago about the "DEATH WOBBLE" in the front end of my 1986 M1008. I appreciate the responses. Many said to have the kingpin bushings checked. I went to a shop that had a good reputation for working on 4x4 vehicles and asked them to check out the kingpin bushings, tie rods, and ball joints. The master mechanic took a look and advised me the vehicle was not equiped with kingpin assemblies but had only balljoints. He checked the vehicle out further and declared the tie rods were the reason for the wobbling. All the spec sheets and information i've found on the web says the front end of the M1008 has a Dana 60 front end equiped with Kingpin knuckle assemblies that use kingpin bushings and springs. Is it possible the vehicle was upgraded later in it's military life with a more modern front end that uses ball joints or should I once again be looking for a new mechanic? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this issue.

dunedigger

Can you post a pic of your front end? It's likely a dana 60. Look at the top of the knuckle and where the kingpins are there will be four bolts on the top and bottom with a 3x4ish removable piece. If you have this you still have a dana 60. There are alot of mechanics out there that don't know everything.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this problem has been around the table a few times but here is my intake.
I buy an retired CUCV I first PMCS Her an an LEVEL 30 Ti annual or semi annusl INSPECTION I jack up and put her on 4 jack stands and get MY Pinch bar out and check all steering gear and motor abd trans mounts any thing that need grease or oil or lube of any time.
front end on cucv bar the axle joints king pins tie rod any thing that move if I get any movement in up or down or side to side and not good lack of lube of any I pull it down and do my r&r maint reg.
As of DW steering gear most movment as DW is bad drag link enda at Steering gear box
is lack of grease and you will find steering shock is also what is also some what a problem to King pins will go bad do lack of grease and the lower is will lose camber and springs go week you will lose caster the top busshing and spring also is noticeable if you can see tire lean in ward at top.
If the shop said you have ball joint on a dana 60 in 1008 1010 1028 1031 he is wrong in less the axle was change you get build number off that axle tag or stamp info on street side tube and get hold any dand or spicer dealer they can tell you what it is and have build specs on that axle, the m1009 used corp 12 bolt axle ball joint style.
If you can see your truck axle and see 4 stud on the driver side steering arm and have 4 bolts cap on pass side and both bottoms 4 bolts on each side the mechanic might not know what he work on.
Most mech new and think they know all types and are parts changer not digonse a problem.
I been through this several times with Mechanics and they did not I am heavy wheel and track mechanic to.
Sorry for my rant and raveing. you can buy all front end parts at any auto parts store and do it your self and save can be just as good as the pros done the job self pride.
The first rule of haveing MV willing to work on them and whan in dout ask and you will receve.:jumpin:

Cucvnut

pretty much every dana 60 will have DW from the military or civvy trucks. the king pin spring sag and the nylon breaks and needs to be replaced.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found that I did a full rebuild for other people and that what they wanted done.
the front end wend into DW and it was the steering rod from the steering box to top arm on the DS top link on the axle look good good grease replaced and no more problems.
I seen upper bushings and springs go bad to but if the front his a little bump just check the little drag link it is cheap enough to replace from 59.00 to 124.00 all depends where you buy it stablelizer shock or steering damper 60.00 for hd.

transman

Chevy never used a D60 with ball joints.They had already gone to IFS before dodge & ford began useing ball joints rather than the kingpin/bearing setup. a stabilizer may help but the cause is usually a combo of worn tierods and/or tire balance. most noticable when running larger rubber.2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks