• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 M1009 - Fuel problem/Injection pump maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glaser06

Just an fyi. 3M makes a shrink tubing with glue on the inside. The stuff is fantastic for
all kinds of things besides just wire. For example: I had a pair of large nail clippers that used to slip and produce copious amounts of blood. Thae shrink tubing I put on the handle part is still there and functional after 20 years. I put this stuff on all kinds of things. It really stiffens up
connectors so that they don't end up with the wire flexing back and forh and breaking.

I don't own stock in the company.
Yeah, all the large diameter stuff I have has glue in it. We used to use it for our subsea connections offshore. A real bear to remove.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I knew ya would. I'm replacing the wiring throughout the truck as I can/need to. With new wire (insulation included even! ). Tape degrades over time and although shrink tubing holds up with wire loom, I've found repeated exposure to hear cycling can loosen the tubing over time.
Yep, tape does. But I have several applications of liquid electrical tape that are holding up fine after a few decades.

glaser06

Yep, tape does. But I have several applications of liquid electrical tape that are holding up fine after a few decades.
Considering liquid tape was patented 7 years after they stopped producing CUCVs (1993) and then again in 2006 for the newer more flexible formula, I don't believe it's been around long enough to have proved itself for long term repairs. My $0.02.

3M makes a product called "Scotchkote" that has been around a while, its great stuff but terribly UV unstable, not sure how it deals with heat. Otherwise it's fantastic stuff, we used to put it over solder joints then heat shrink it; this was before we had the glue type heat shrink.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering liquid tape was patented 7 years after they stopped producing CUCVs (1993) and then again in 2006 for the newer more flexible formula, I don't believe it's been around long enough to have proved itself for long term repairs. My $0.02.
Well, few things last forever. Including the factory wiring insulation.
Maybe we should wait another decade or two before starting to trust liquid electrical tape? Nah, if it fails, I'll just reapply a little as needed.

glaser06

Well, few things last forever. Including the factory wiring insulation.
Maybe we should wait another decade or two before starting to trust liquid electrical tape? Nah, if it fails, I'll just reapply a little as needed.
If I get another 30 years from the new stuff, I'll call it a win. You can keep patching yours as long as you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks