• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 M1009 - tailgate window roll-up

biped

I've never taken the inside panel off the tailgate but the "up" cranking of the window has become more difficult. I'm wanting to know if a preventative measure can be reasonably executed that will enable this mechanism to function more smoothly. I have the TM's but am exceptionally lazy as Thanksgiving dinner continues to hang over me, producing a medium grade stupor. Thanks,

Bruce

cucvrus

Where is the spring in the tailgate that helps with the cranking? I had many apart and never seen that. More then likely the rear window regulator is bone dry, the roller tracks and guides on the bottom sash are swimming in grit and dirt , the side window tracks are gone and the gate window does not properly align with upper window channels. The M1009 gate is crude at best. It needs to be disassembled and everything cleaned and lubed. Cleaning everything and painting things is a plus. I did a total gate rebuild with zero budget scrap parts in my Terminus M1009. I showed how a totally scrap gate can be brought back to life and reusable with patience and a little hard work and ingenuity. Here we go again. Go get a beverage and sit down and learn. I am not the best never claim to be but I like to build things and can make things get by without throwing everything new at it and changing the design of everything I look at.004.jpgIn my opinion this gate pictured is a pretty rough M1009 gate. Rusted cracked on top, hard to open and close, window cranks hard, the gate lacks cables and even with cables it is a weak gate that just hangs there and slams shut like an unhinged car door. Do you want to see more? Your gonna.

cucvrus

017.jpg018.jpg019.jpg009.jpgI posted these pictures to show you how to totally strip out the gate. 008.jpgVery easy to take apart. Use a 7/16" socket and a profane torch if the bolts are tight. They will break off and then lots of work or parts replacement. 007.jpgThis is what I removed from the gate on Terminus M1009. Lots of broken rear window glass. Looks like several windows were broken in this gate.

Attachments

tim292stro

There should be a clock spring on the back of one of the regulator arms (facing towards the outside tailgate skin). You'd have to take the regulator out completely to see it, or use a mechanic's mirror:
K5_Rear_Window_Regulator.jpg
This spring, like all springs, can wear out (or worse, break) and if so - it won't help lift the glass back in place like it was designed to. The effort required to lift should be balanced with the effort required to lower.

Yes the assembly it's probably dirty and needs lube badly after 30 years... the felts are probably also shot if not recently replaced (in the last 10 years).

cucvrus

If you are still interested I will post more. But you can look at Terminus M1009 thread and see the results.003.jpg027.jpg001.jpg021.jpg022.jpg006.jpg023.jpgI went from junk to usable with a little time and energy and scrap pieces I had lying about. It is not perfect it was not meant to be. if I wanted perfect I would scrap the whole rig and get a new truck. This is a rough tough well proven M1009 that I use regularly and it is bone stock. No mods needed on these old trucks. just keep them in good shape and run them hard.

biped

Thanks to tim292 & CUCVRUS. I'm gonna wait till a warmer day appears to take it apart, clean & lube. Your info was very helpful. It's a tough old truck. Bruce

nyoffroad

I sometimes take and spray some silicon on the end felts,( DON'T DO THIS IF YOUR PLANNING ON PAINTING ANYTHING FOR AWHILE)! If everything is clean and lubed properly and adjusted you don't need the silicon but hey we're talking real life here.

cucvrus

https://www.amazon.com/YOT-15641780-Blazer-Tailgate-Regulator/dp/B00MI7LKUM
I called the GM dealer today. He said the regulator has long been discontinued. I have looked hi and lo. I seen bad reviews on LMC parts. Heck I had an A C Delco right out of the blister pack fail in 2-4 cycles after lubing everything. This rear window is a rude crude design at best. I have reserved the right to call it as I see it having fixed umpteen million of them in the past 45 years. Anyone know a fair price that I could buy a replacement? I have one original GM regulator still in the package and am saving that for my 13K Red Riding Hood project. Anyone have a any sources and good reliable replacement availability. I have another A C Delco and have another M1009 coming with the same rear gate issues. I have a gate with a power window but that is not the right way to do it. Have a Great Day and Be Safe.

biped

Lmc Truck. First set of parts did not work. The riser that the glass fits in was goofed up. I returned for refund and ordered replacement that worked. The regulator replacement was okay.

Biped

cucvrus

headlamp tool.jpgI will pass on the LMC regulator. If they are anything like the LMC head lamp buckets I was given by the project owner they will not fit. The head lamp buckets were not countersunk at the adjusting screws. Only a small fish mouth flat cut out that could not hold adjustment if it had to. I opted for Chevrolet van head lamp buckets. I had a bunch of new ones from a state bid when halogen headlamps were added in state vans (mid-late 80"s)and the standard head lamps were discarded. The new halogen headlamps came with buckets and all I had to do was use the C driver to install. Sometimes hoarding has it's advantages. I have been burnt on the LMC buckets in the past. Oh well I hear scrap is getting higher. I have another A C Delco I can roll with. Getting low on stock and may try a rebuild. Make 1 of 2. Maybe.

WECSOG

Just a heads up, there is a vendor on Ebay selling original GM NOS M1009 tailgate regulators for $125.00 +26.00 shipping.

Search "[FONT=&quot]NOS CUCV M1009 BLAZER NOS GENUINE GM TAILGATE REGULATOR 2540-01-158-85[/FONT][FONT=&quot]54"[/FONT]

cucvrus

Thank you for that tip. I am past my need for a regulator at the moment. The owner was here last night and picked up the Red Devil M1009. I have 3 M1009's to complete and I am tapping out. I am selling all my stock and moving onto less strenuous hobbies. Not that I won't take on small jobs. But frame offs are NOT going to happen anymore. Have a Great Day. Nice job on your M1009.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks