• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 m1009

deercoker

Hey guy's I know this may have been covered but cannot find what I having trouble with, my cucv recently started making a high pitch whine when you give it gas while driving and not sitting. I took to my local tranny shop and the owner did not think it was anything to worry about at the moment but said it was either the tranny pump or torque convertor going bad. Within a week I noticed it is getting a little louder and seems to be shifting not as smooth as before and I don't want to wait tgill one or the other goes out and there is catastrophic failure. I was wondering the best course of action as it is my only vehicle and I have limited funds,

Thanks

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would service the trans with new fluid and filter ASAP.
Might help and certainly won’t hurt.

Assume you checked fluid level already.

How did the fluid look look and smell?
Still reddish?
Did it look and smell burnt?
When was last service?

If the new filter and fluid doesn’t help then it’s rebuild time.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would think that the transmission shop that inspected the truck would have at least changed the fluid and filter.
At the very least recommended it.
They might have.
The OP said funds were tight.

A Transmission service isn’t cheap, but it’s a LOT cheaper than a rebuild.

rsh4364

I will never forget the first time I changed the transmission fluid in my first 1009, it was disgusting. It looked like melted butter and smelled like there was a dead animal in the transmission pan. It pretty much shifted the same before and after. It shifted fine.

Last edited:

deercoker

Thanks guy's, I will most likely opt to have it serviced first, the fluid looks ok and does not smell burnt, after the noise started I checked the fluid level and for some reason it was way high maybe like a quart so I cracked open a cooler line and drained some out to get the level down and it has stayed there. It had never ran high before this and not since but still the noise and shifting a little rough {I think},

cucvrus

Yes no worries. It has been filtered and all is well. Good Luck. Get some Permatex the right stuff and glue the pan gasket on with it. Does a nice job. Don't go wild and have it hanging inside the pan and making black icicles hanging inside and out. A little dab will do you.

nyoffroad

deercoker;2136089 I checked the fluid level and for some reason it was way high maybe like a quart so I cracked open a cooler line and drained some out to get the level down and it has stayed there. It had never ran high before this and not since but still the noise and shifting a little rough {I think} said:
That would bother me! Where did the xtra fluid come from? The only things I can think of would be from the transfer case or possible contamination from water or something. I'd start with a fluid & filter and plain on spending some time with a flash light under it and look at everything. Use a flash light as that helps focus your attention on where the small lit up area is. I wish you good luck and a easy cheap fix but I believe that your looking at a rebuild.

deercoker

Well I drove it to the VA today and when I got home I decided to check the fluid and it was perfect on the dipstick, red in color and does not smell burnt at all, I got in and rev'd the engine in park and could hear the whinning noise now while parked. It probably was doing it before in park I just could not hear it because of the engine noise. I did notice earlier while underneath that the rear portion of the transfer case is wet where the driveshaft connects and just forward, so could the transfer case cause that noise?

cucvrus

Not likely in park. There comes a time that things like seal and gasket just go bad. I would say it needs some internal attention. I had a few with these symptoms and the transmission was overhauled and that fixed the issues. It did cause a lot of whining on the customers end but it fixed the transmissions whining sound. 30+ years has a tendency to do that to mechanical things regardless of the mileage. Get it fixed non before catastrophic loss/failure takes place internally. Did you even bother to change the filter / screen yet?

Matt5

Banned
Long story short I had a bad very loud wine develop, it changed pitch based off RPM. The tranny filter as so plugged it was starving the pump. Everything looked fine smelled fine and it had a new filter 2 years ago and had just had a pan fluid change a few months before.

Fluid/filter should be changed on these trannys like every 2 years. Very cheap to do a filter and pan fluid. I also believe the new filters are garbage compared to the old stuff... looks like it had way less filter material...

deercoker

Thanks guy's I will change fluid and filter in the next day or so and see if that helps! Like I said I am a disabled vet with limited funds and this is my only vehicle so I am trying to go about this smart and not start throwing a lot of money at it, I have only had this one for about 14 months. The local tranny shop wants about 750 in labor just to remove and replace plus cost of parts it needs, about 2500 for a rebuild, so I am pullin my hair out, Thanks again everyone!

johnjr

I hope you have better luck than me. On my 1009 it started whining and I pulled the pan down, screen was clogged up with clutch/ friction particles. I put new screen and filter and got about 100 miles out of it then it quit.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure how we started with the transmission. If the whining is heard while in Park, start by checking the things that are turning when the engine is running, like the alternators or power steering pump. It's a lot easier and cheaper to pull the belts off and run it for a few minutes (listening for the whine) than to service the trans.

Last edited:

deercoker

I think you are correct, that is something easily checked, I just put new belts on it and the whining started shortly thereafter, I was basically looking at the transmission on what everyone else was saying, I will pull the belts in the morning and update, Thanks,

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you are correct, that is something easily checked, I just put new belts on it and the whining started shortly thereafter, I was basically looking at the transmission on what everyone else was saying
Read your first post again.
We were giving advice based on your statements about the whining noise while driving down the road and not sitting.
You were so concerned, you even stopped by a transmission shop.
Now we learn about new belts being installed and noise starting right after that.
How did it get turned around that the advice given in this thread, was pointing you to the transmission?

The guys here can only give advice based on the information you provide about an issue.
The issue you stated was about the perceived transmission noise.

By all means, remove belts and see if noise stops. Whatever it takes.
But to say we pointed you to the transmission is disingenuous when that’s the thread you started.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks