• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1987 cucv alternator problems???? blowing regulators????

cwilliams

ok im stumped .... before having the alternators rebuilt the gen2 light started to stay on. so I had it rebuilt and when I put it all back together ...bam after I started the truck the voltage went from normal to around 35v if I remember so I took both alts off took them to the shop and alt 1 was peging the volt meter ...the regulator had blown. ok replaced it ....put back together and once again over charging... alt 1 reg blew again ... I double checked the wires and how they go on the back of the alts and all looks good .... I don't know what could be the problem .... please help this is one of our most called out trucks on our fire dept .... brush-13-ds-2013.jpg

cucvrus

Is the ground from the drivers side left alternator hooked up to the alternator and to the intake engine bolt? I am not sure how to help you with out seeing it. But I think you are going to need a voltmeter and read some of the other threads that have been posted in the past. Good Luck. Electrical is not one of my stronger points with out being there.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post some pictures of the wiring on both alternators. I should be able to tell if they are wired correctly.

Also who rebuilt the alternators? Did they reinstall all the fiber washers correctly?

cwilliams

and warthog I will do so asap.... I haven't a day day off in weeks..... the guy that built them works at b and c electric here in Terre Haute,IN and im not sure if the washers are right...

cwilliams

would It be easier to just make it 12 volt ... after looking at a few things it sounds like a possible good idea ... 1 battery for the emergency lights and 1 battery for the starter. .... any thoughts

Hasdrubal

I personally don't think a 12V conversion is a good idea. I like to have 24V to spin the starter. The 6.2 has 21.5 compression ratio. When it gets really cold in the winter, the batteries are noticeably affected. Likely I wouldn't get the motor to fire on only 12V. The starter must spin 200 rpm for the engine to light up.