• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1987 M35A2C Fuel Filters Change

FloridaAKM

That is true, but it was ether that was recommended & I have no ether. WD-40 uses CO2 as a propellant, so that was ruled out; silicone spray was something I keep around the shop for ammo can lids, so it was a what the heck decision. Also, the engine runs much better with clean fuel filters & much smoother too!
Eureka! A mechanic @ work told me to spray a small amount of silicone spray into the intake,

I think post #2 mentioned this about a week ago, no? :smile:

Glad you got it running!

Woodsplinter

Ooh, I see what you're saying- seems like folks have used just about anything flammable in a spray can! Actually I have spray silicon too but never thought about using it to start the engine. :grin:

FloridaAKM

I have always been taught that ether to a diesel is like crack to an addict! Once you use it, you will have to use it more often to get the engine started. I wanted to stay away & in doing so, found a good substitute!

dezert ratt

I changed my fuel filters on the deuce. Before cranking I let the lift pump cycle for 2 or 3 minutes to fill the filters back up. Crank and fired right up no problem.

rustystud

I have always been taught that ether to a diesel is like crack to an addict! Once you use it, you will have to use it more often to get the engine started. I wanted to stay away & in doing so, found a good substitute!
It isn't that it's "crack" but that it is hiding a problem that needs fixing. Plus the damage ether or any flammable propellant can cause to a diesel engine gives one pause before using it. As a mechanic I have used ether (and brake clean) to help start a trouble engine. It was used as a diagnostic tool, not a fix to a problem.

FloridaAKM

Thanks for insight. Hopefully, the next filter change will be less problematic than the last one was. Knowledge gained form each job helps along the way! If I am not mistaken, some of the MV trucks are fitted with an ether canister that injects a small premeasured burst into the engine during very cold weather. Mine is outfitted with manifold heater system, so no ether.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you got her up and running. I think you just did not let the intank pump run long enough to clear the system of air. I myself have never had to use anything to help get them up and running when all is right with the system( intank putting out 4 lb at the bleed) after a filter change. Myself I just bleed out the air at the bleed fitting between the secondary and final and then let the intank run for a while before trying to start. It will not hurt anything to let the intank run for a couple of mins. Next time maybe go have a beer with the intank running then try and start. Someone posted a long time ago about the Wix filter 33540 that is 6 micron and can be run in both secondary and final. I get them from here cheap. http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/filters-fuel-filters.html

rustystud

Thanks for insight. Hopefully, the next filter change will be less problematic than the last one was. Knowledge gained form each job helps along the way! If I am not mistaken, some of the MV trucks are fitted with an ether canister that injects a small premeasured burst into the engine during very cold weather. Mine is outfitted with manifold heater system, so no ether.
My truck has the ether injection. I'm thinking of removing it as I have never used it.