• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1987 m998 or is it?

How can I identify what the modle of a hmmwv is, I'm looking at purchasing one with a title. The owner says it's a m99 but does not know which one. How could I identify if it is a m998 or something I might not want to purchase. I know it has a 6.5L engine, is a 3 speed and has a 200amp generator in it.

Last edited:

Katavic918

Rule number one of fight club...dont talk about title status of fight club. But to answer your question, there should be data plates on either door jamb that will tell you. Just open the doors and look down and to the rear of the vehicle.

BLK HMMWV

Can't always go by the data plate. It's a good start.
They should be riveted in place not just stuck on with the adhesive on the back.
Also the rivets should show there age.
My question is why the guy that is selling it doesn't know what it is?
How did he buy it or acquire it?
It must not have any paperwork or a title or it would be listed on that.
But you said it has a on road title whats that say it is?

Ajax MD

How can I identify what the modle of a hmmwv is, I'm looking at purchasing one with a on road title. The owner says it's a m99 but does not know which one. How could I identify if it is a m998 or something I might not want to purchase. I know it has a 6.5L engine, is a 3 speed and has a 200amp generator in it.
Mine is a 998 built sometime between 85-92 based on some of the body bits. It was re-engined with a 6.5l in 2002, and assigned a new serial num
ber for 2002.

Your truck seems to be a similar case. You may never know exactly when it was built.

Katavic918

Not sure what the fight club reference was about. Identifying the model of a HMMWV isn't generally something that people are shady about.

Ramson222, look for the model number on the data plate on the lower B pillar on the driver's side, and/or the loading info plate on the passenger side.
Didn't see that movie I guess? No but titling status of hmmwvs is. Or at least it used to be.

Ajax MD

There are folks who are interested in the historical production aspect.

Vintage Mustang owners quibble about the presence of the faux grill vent on 64 1/2 Mustangs vs. 65 Mustangs.

But are they the same truck, really? I thought once you got into the higher series numbers, the trucks had all sorts of modifications such as heavier axles, bigger brakes, a higher GVWR, etc. etc. Am I wrong on this?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are folks who are interested in the historical production aspect.

Vintage Mustang owners quibble about the presence of the faux grill vent on 64 1/2 Mustangs vs. 65 Mustangs.

But are they the same truck, really? I thought once you got into the higher series numbers, the trucks had all sorts of modifications such as heavier axles, bigger brakes, a higher GVWR, etc. etc. Am I wrong on this?
The OP was about a 1987...Not an A2, or M11XX series. That would be a much broader question.
Not to mention the latter has 4 speed trans as a dead give away.

TMOMW

ONLY way to figure this out is pics of vehicle and data plate... need underbody, front, rear dash, and shifter pics... along with data plate pic... till then everyone is guessing.

Ajax MD

The OP was about a 1987...Not an A2, or M11XX series. That would be a much broader question.
Not to mention the latter has 4 speed trans as a dead give away.
Ah, ok. I see what you're saying. Other than for trivial historic curiosity and maybe parts support, I'm not overly concerned.

Dayron84

Rule number one of fight club...dont talk about title status of fight club. But to answer your question, there should be data plates on either door jamb that will tell you. Just open the doors and look down and to the rear

The guy simply stated he was looking to purchase a humvee with a title...what’s the issue with that? He didn’t ask any questions or imply he was doing anything illegal. There’s a sticky thread that is labeled “hmmwv titling “.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dayron84

Really? I remember just mentioning hmmwv and title would get a thread shut down. I guess things have changed.
I don’t know why people make such an issue with this. Humvees are being sold across the country with legal on-road titles everyday. That’s no secret. As long as someone isn’t asking any shady or possibly illegal advice I don’t see the harm is mentioning the word TITLE

Reactions: 98G

Katavic918

I don’t know why people make such an issue with this. Humvees are being sold across the country with legal on-road titles everyday. That’s no secret. As long as someone isn’t asking any shady or possibly illegal advice I don’t see the harm is mentioning the word TITLE

Ok then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks