• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1987 SUBURBAN DIESEL US Property

welpro222

Hey guys, been a long time since my last post.

I just picked up a 1987 Diesel Suburban V20 Scottsdale. On the front of the glovebox it has US Property label on it. Car fax shows it was auctioned off in 2002 from a airport in Illinois.

Any ideas of what this vehicle was? I will get some pics up later.

It has the standard civilian engine setup (J code) and the interior is standard except for the newer leather seats from a 2000s chevy suburban. Original color looks to be yellow and /or white. But it has since been repainted red.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gov't used shiploads of theses for all kinds of stuff. Any info from the hive would be a guess at best unless they had personal knowledge of this vehicle.

61sleepercab

Open the phone book under US Government and see who all could be a original user. It is likely that the vehicle was a GSA unit and may have been used in a fire department/ ems service from a local VFD or city. Lots of former M35a2, Chevy and Dodge pickups painted red are being turned in and are up for sale.

quickfarms

Is the tag a silver foil tag part number 4149032?

Does the tag list a contract number and or a registration number?

If it lists a registration please post it so we can see if we can id it.

Last edited:

welpro222

I bought this thing for $1000. It runs great, newer leather seats, newer aluminum wheels and e rated tires, barn doors in back. Has 2 rust holes in drivers fenders, rhino lined back area. 77,000 on odometer, five digit odometer. Hard to tell how many if any times the odometer rolled over. But there was only 30,000 miles put on it since 2002.

I saw this vehicle listed about 3 years ago on craiglist for $6000 at the time. The lady I bought it off off bought it three years ago and never really used it, but she just had a complete new exhaust system, alternator, and 2x optima red tops (1000 ca) batteries installed in 2012. Fluids look fresh, oil changed a month ago.

I wish I could pull up that old craigslist ad from 3 years ago, If I remember that person did alot of work to it.

Now I have a K5 6.2, a k20 6.2 and a 6.2 suburban. I may sell the K5, since I hate the rear tailgate.

welpro222

Thats what got me started on the path to the 6.2 diesel. A friend of mine bought a CUCV m1009, he got me hooked. The combination of a chevy truck/k5 and diesel was very appealing to me for use as a mountain rig/camping/hunting/bugging out.

So I found a K5 blazer with the 3.08 and 700r4 instead, the motor blew up a month later and I rebuilt it.

Then I decided I wanted a pickup, so the search kept going but for a m1008 this time. I settled for a 83 k20 with a 700r4 and 4.10 gears.

Now I have a 87 diesel suburban, yeah a cucv style would be cool but I want to keep it simple. It will be getting a roof rack and lights, and a front bumper guard.

I was hoping to find the d60 and 14ff under it, but no luck:-(.

welpro222

Is it possible this truck may only have 77,000 original miles? Did the air force put many miles on these? Carfax shows it was auctioned off with 44,000 miles, then serviced at dealers every year with 2-3000 miles increase each time.

welpro222

Hey guys, thought i would throw out an update. I know its not a CUCV, but its a US air force veteran.

New felpro 6.5 head gaskets, new arp head studs, new nozzles, complete arp main studs and my own homemade full length stud girdle, 4inch lift, 33 tires. I am finally back on the road after a month and a half of slowly working on it.

Future work needed (well not all needed):

rear pinion seal
transfer case seals
transmission fluid change
dana 60 and 14 bolt ff change if I can find them in a 3.73 or 4.10.

Will get pics up after new year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks