• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1989 am general humvee need advice

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I've seen that's causing me concern about titles:

When GP first started selling hmmwvs, ID was issuing on road titles for them. Trucks were bought at GP for $10k, titled in ID, and subsequently sold at a premium with the on road title. Trucks were transferred a couple of times, across state lines. ID then revoked the titles. The current owners, who had no idea the titles were ever restricted, and who paid premium $$ for an on road hmmwv, had their titles and registrations revoked. They are of course suing the people they bought the truck from, who are middlemen themselves in some instances and had no idea. I don't want to be in either position of these lawsuits, neither buyer nor seller.

AZ DMV sent out a memo to the effect that titles and registration were not to be issued for hmmwvs. There were multiple (GP restricted) hmmwvs already street titled. When these were sold, the instate buyers were unable to transfer title. These are also pending legal action. Again, I don't want to be in either position in court on these.

Bill, I get that they're telling you "it has a street title, it'll be fine." See if they'll sign a binding contract to that effect, that they'll refund all expenses if you can't title it.... my guess is they won't.

I have no vested interests in any of this. I have no hmmwvs nor hmmwv parts to sell.

(No, I will not be more specific, nor will I give names)

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

Bill.
Will this be your primary driver.?
Have you ever driven one?
Might I suggest finding somebody with one who will take you for a drive in it. Possibly let you drive it.
HMMWV's even turn key or refurbished or restored or what ever word you want to use are not exempt from having to work on them.
If you have a budget of 18K and don't have the time , tools, room , and ability to wrench on them yourself you will soon find the novelty will wear off.
Now you will be competing with all the other HMMWV's out on the market trying to recoup some of your investment.
If this is going to be your daily driver I would seriously recommend a jeep. Almost every mechanic can work on a jeep.
Not everyone can work on a HMMWV.
Parts are not as available as readily as a jeep.

It will be cold as **** inside in the winter. Hot as **** inside in the summer. Wet as **** inside in the winter and summer .
Did I mention noisy as **** as well
No real creature comforts like radios , cup holders
Just more food for thought.

Last edited:

Wrbrackett

Bullet motor sports was nice enough to send me one of there titles to there humvees they are currently selling.
He told me to bring it to my local DMV and make sure they can title it and register it in New Hampshire.im going to due this on Monday.
Does this title look ok ?
Any one know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That title looks just fine. It is verymuch to their credit that theyre willing to send it to you.

The problem is that Florida has stated an intention to revoke it.

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

Well you said you are buying it from somebody who already bought it from Bullet Motor sports.
The title you are showing still says it belongs to Bullet Motor sports. How is it that it belongs to a private party that registered it and has license plates for it but never transferred owner ship from Bullet motor sports to the private party .
Something looks fishy there to me. Normally the new owner has to register it in his name in order to get plates and registration. After that it would no longer say Bullet motor sports as the registered owner.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you said you are buying it from somebody who already bought it from Bullet Motor sports.
The title you are showing still says it belongs to Bullet Motor sports. How is it that it belongs to a private party that registered it and has license plates for it but never transferred owner ship from Bullet motor sports to the private party .
Something looks fishy there to me. Normally the new owner has to register it in his name in order to get plates and registration. After that it would no longer say Bullet motor sports as the registered owner.
This isn't the exact title that goes with the truck. Bullitt was just nice enough to provide him with a sample title.

Bill thinks that the sample title will allow NH DMV to be able to tell him whether or not he can license and title it in NH. Which it should. Until/unless FL revokes it.

Wrbrackett

Bullet motor sports was simply being very nice by showing me there title of one of there humvees that they are currently selling on eBay.
They were also nice enough to tell me about the humvee and what they did to it.
They were also the ones that will ship it to me for 700.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's obvious that you're going to buy this POS, that didn't even sell on Flea-Bay. (I wonder why?)

I'm sorry but I just can't bear to follow you or this thread because you're making a mistake despite all the warning signs being out there for you to see.

DanM7890

Why hasn't he sent you HIS FL title to take to your NH DMV to see if you can register it instead of some random dealers title. When you were interested in mine I had no issue showing you my title to see if you could register it. The seller should be very helpful in this process, not the original dealer.

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

Nobody is that nice. Why is bullet motor sports still involved in the sale of a truck they already sold to a private party.
The person that bought the truck from bullet motor sports had to register it in his name in order to get tags and plates for on road use.
The fact they ( bullet motor sports) are offering HELP in the sale of this truck is questionable unless they have some vested interest in seeing it resold and relocated.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find the fact that the former title state is Vermont to be interesting, unless I am reading that wrong.

I live in VT (not a native), I'm a federal LEO, and I have run HMMWV VINs before. In my experience, the VT DMV always puts make as AMG or AMGE and body type as TK....how those got changed for the FL title is intriguing.
Out west...a Hmmwv can have either a TK [ truck ], or UT [ utility ] on the title depending on if it has a full size top ....all the way back to tail gate,[ like a Hummer H1 ].

Wrbrackett

Guys your a little negative.it might not be the best humvee.but I don't think it's a pos.
Like I stated before bullet motor sports will be shipping it home if I end up buying this one.
Yes dealerships can be that nice.it makes smart business since.especially since he sells accessories that I might want/need down the road.
Also the owner is considering having bullet take and sell it for him.since he is having a hard time selling it on his own.
There is also another members humvee on this site and eBay that hasn't sold.so maybe you shouldn't be so negative about eBay and humvees not selling on eBay.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys your a little negative.it might not be the best humvee.but I don't think it's a pos.
Like I stated before bullet motor sports will be shipping it home if I end up buying this one.
Yes dealerships can be that nice.it makes smart business since.especially since he sells accessories that I might want/need down the road.
Also the owner is considering having bullet take and sell it for him.since he is having a hard time selling it on his own.
There is also another members humvee on this site and eBay that hasn't sold.so maybe you shouldn't be so negative about eBay and humvees not selling on eBay.

I agree with this.

I still think the risk of ending up with a vehicle that can't be registered is too high.

Wrbrackett

The seller sent me a copy of the new title.im going to the nh
DMV on Monday to see what they can tell me.
Again I really appreciate every ones time and help.