• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1989 Ford 8000 / Landoll Corp TM1800 Aircraft De-Icer

essayons07

I purchased the noticed vehicle some time back and have been storing it. I was told that it would not go above 30 mph so I have not been able to bring it home. Did these units have 2 speed diff's? I would just look at it myself but the truck is about three hours from me. If it does have a two speed diff how do you switch it if there are no controls in the cab? Thanks

papercu

Why would a 1989 Ford 8000 only go 30mph? A de-icer wouldn't/shouldn't be geared that low. Wayne
From the web:
Landoll Corporation has produced over 600 Truck Mounted Deicer/Washer units. Mounted on a modified standard chassis. The TM-1800 is a versatile unit that incorporates fluid tanks, fluid heaters, and an aerial boom-mounted personnel enclosed cabin. These units were produced for the Air Force and Navy - 1984 through 1998.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Might have a TWO speed rear, set in low and not wired so it can be upshifted, or the shift is someplace other then the stick so it can be roaded

JDToumanian

It doesn't have planetary hubs on the axles does it? I've seen pics of some airport runway vehicles that had these on them, otherwise they were regular civilian vehicles.

essayons07

As far as I know it's a standard Ford C8000. If the truck was close I would just crawl under it and check it out. I'm hoping that it is a two speed rear end and I can switch it to the high range. I was hoping someone here had one and could share some info.

Thanks

CTP

I know this is an old post at this time but I thought I would fill in some missing info here for anyone in the future who might have this question. I had one of these trucks so am familiar with it's components. It came with a Dana differential that does have a two speed option. As spec'd by the military (I guess) a lockout plate was installed in the diff to keep it in low. This provides a top speed of only around 35 mph on a hill with a tail wind. I drove mine for 200 miles like this. The engine (8 cyl detroit ) is literally screaming at this speed. The lock out plate can be removed and a cap mounted switch installed for a high and low selection. With the current ratios in the diff though, this still will only put your top speed around 53 though because there is only something like a 30% difference in the gearing. Or you can install what he called a seasonal lockout which would give you the option of switching by climbing under the truck and manually changing the selector.The diff can be swapped out also if you can source the parts. It is an older Dana and my tech says they are hard to come by. Anyway, sorry this is so late but if you have any questions about the truck send me a PM.
CP

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
is this the SAME vehicle that has been in the old want adds for ever, another auto renew run on add, in fact looks like THREE adds for the SAME TRUCK, all RUN ON

CTP

I know this is an old post at this time but I thought I would fill in some missing info here for anyone in the future who might have this question. I had one of these trucks so am familiar with it's components. It came with a Dana differential that does have a two speed option. As spec'd by the military (I guess) a lockout plate was installed in the diff to keep it in low. This provides a top speed of only around 35 mph on a hill with a tail wind. I drove mine for 200 miles like this. The engine (8 cyl detroit ) is literally screaming at this speed. The lock out plate can be removed and a cap mounted switch installed for a high and low selection. With the current ratios in the diff though, this still will only put your top speed around 53 though because there is only something like a 30% difference in the gearing. Or you can install what he called a seasonal lockout which would give you the option of switching by climbing under the truck and manually changing the selector.The diff can be swapped out also if you can source the parts. It is an older Dana and my tech says they are hard to come by. Anyway, sorry this is so late but if you have any questions about the truck send me a PM.
CP

CTP

I sold mine to a nearby private airport. They were ecstatic. The features far outweighed any currently available de-icing unit. The cheapest trailer mounted de-icing unit is around $17000 and it has no boom. I think I sold mine for around $6500. Wish I still had it though. Lots of fun. It was about 30 ft long I think.

Oh and thanks for the heads up Porky. Seems I did this long ago but the ad continued......I am looking into it though to keep this thread from turning into a classifieds rant.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold mine to a nearby private airport. They were ecstatic. The features far outweighed any currently available de-icing unit. The cheapest trailer mounted de-icing unit is around $17000 and it has no boom. I think I sold mine for around $6500. Wish I still had it though. Lots of fun. It was about 30 ft long I think.

Oh and thanks for the heads up Porky. Seems I did this long ago but the ad continued......I am looking into it though to keep this thread from turning into a classifieds rant.

So when did you sell it ? these 3 ads have to be from a least last febuary because you don't have the post count to post after the change . You should have deleted old ads as you posted new ones.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the good thing about the NEW clasifieds is that ALL the run ons are gone, so I would lt this go as it and all the others will be gone

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, besides airport use and de-icing house gutters in cold climates, what use would one possibly have for a vehicle like this?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, besides airport use and de-icing house gutters in cold climates, what use would one possibly have for a vehicle like this?
Donning our Thinking Caps, and letting the creative juices flow.....

1. Hot Showers at SS Rallies.

2. MMVWF Duty - Mobile Military Vehicle Washing Facility... also handy at SS Rallies.

3. Dog Wash?

4. Party Wagon Rental... visuallize a Foamed Family Reunion.

Others?????

Bob Jackson

I was actually glad to find this thread about the C800 and the tm 1800. We have one of these too but 45 MPH max, makes me wonder about the 2 spd rear. Interesting about mill spec'ed equipment and how the suppliers modified the civilian gear.
As to use, we were going to use it to clean buildings around the property but it doesn't lift high enough. Looking for a new home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks