• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1990 M921A2 Tractor, lights and ignition start problem

ET48

Hi guys, new to the site. Just bought my first military 6x6.

Problem:
Truck will jump start just fine at the starter. (will not start using the start switch on dash, no dash power)
After running, rev the engine up a bit and the dash powers up gauges and parking brake light comes on (as supposed to, just late).

No matter how charged the batterys are, I can't seem to get the lights, or blackout lights to work.

Do I have a dead battery, or perhaps a wiring issue?

I checked everything behind the dash, traced wires. The protective control box (black pcb next to the washer bottle) clicks when the master disconnect switch is turned on and off.

I just don't get anything when I turn the ignition on.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,12039222_10205996864814703_7090796281499885568_n.jpg

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a bad PCB (black box) for the starting issue. I've had 2 bad boxes that click but don't power anything up, broke them down and one was vibrated to death and the other was corroded. Try a manual bypass with two jumper wires on the PCB plug (cant find thread for the how-to). If it starts with the bypass it's the box, if not then test your main power switch in the dash to see if it's going bad. The no-go on the lights is likely a different issue entirely but one thing at a time.

P.S. Make sure the gear select is firmly seated in neutral.

MtnSnow

Could be a bad ignition switch. Have you tested it with a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) to verify that power is present to the switch and if power is leaving the switch when moved to the other positions?

ET48

Ok thanks ill investigate the pcb more. Does anyone have a wiring schematic? I would like to find where the lights get power

ET48

I opened and replaced the bottom solenoid in the black box, that fixed the starting issue.

Current issue at hand: still no lights
No stop, turn, brake or headlights.

Started cleaning grounds, no luck

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I opened and replaced the bottom solenoid in the black box, that fixed the starting issue.

Current issue at hand: still no lights
No stop, turn, brake or headlights.

Started cleaning grounds, no luck
Could be a bad 3 way switch, blinker box, and/or turn switch. I'd start in that order.

ET48

Opened up the three way switch box, everything looked brandnew! Replaced in 2004 by the yellow stamping. Turns out i had a flakey power wire, fixed that and life is good!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks