• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1990 M923A2 steering box AZ issues non responsive after installing new gearbox

ArizonaGasMonkey

I am trying to assist a buddy on his 1990 M923A2 Cargo truck as he is getting ready for a trip with his family.

Truck had a leaking steering gear box and the box was replaced with a tested unit that was tested by supplier prior to installing onto the truck.

The box I was told is an updated model which meant the hose ports hooked up a little different but lines are now hooked up and have been bleed to ensure no air.

The previous gearbox leaked badly but still worked.

He is in Maricopa AZ and his name is Chris. I asked everyone I knew about suggestions and am hoping our community might be able to make additional recommendations.

Chris (480) 283-4795

Any Help would be appreciated

Thanks

Aaron

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There are 2 different style gearboxes. If the lines hooked up different chances are he installed the wrong one. M939 and a1 use one style and the a2 trucks use a different one. They are not interchangeable.

tcbuhr

There are 2 different style gearboxes. If the lines hooked up different chances are he installed the wrong one. M939 and a1 use one style and the a2 trucks use a different one. They are not interchangeable.
Do you know the part number of the a2 gearbox?? Trying to find one locally and not sure where to start?

Csm Davis

New A2

Old M939, and M939 A1 style

But not sure if you get the hoses in the right place why it wouldn't work?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The two styles are not interchangeable I dont know exactly why not though. The m939
and m939a1 use a ross hydrapower box. The a2 trucks use a different brand.

cybrockway

Thank you for your help. Chris was able to get it going the hoses were backwards on the right side of the box. I appreciate your assistance. Aaron
Would you happen to have any pictures of this install? I'm looking to replace my A2 version as it's loose and non-adjustable for an A1 style that is adjustable. Thanks in advance!

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swamp Donkey,
Have a m923a2 steering box shaft seal leak, anyone you know is a reliable rebuilder? Or is it something that can be done like do yourself?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be looking for one myself after a while, a rebuild that is. My Ross steering gear is leaking from the input seal, and after going through a couple Chevy steering boxes in my younger days, I feel more confident in someone else more qualified than me doing it. It's fairly straight forward to replace the seal but there's a multitude of other things you can mess up while you're in there. This is where I failed on the Chevy boxes. They didn't leak anymore but they didn't work either. :mrgreen:

My plan is to buy a new box so I have a direct replacement, then have the original rebuilt for a spare. I like spares and hate down time so this works for me. You could always just have yours rebuilt without buying another one. There was a guy in Macon that I had rebuild the Chevy boxes years ago (since I caused more harm than good) but I'm not sure if he's still around. He knew his stuff but didn't advertise as it was a side gig for him.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks