• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1990 M929A2 Dump Truck Throttle Cable, ANY Information!!

dsmith006

Hello! I'm new to the site, I've been browsing here for years but never posted. I can't thank you guys enough for all of the information you've helped me with in the past just from the posts I've read.

I've bought several things from GL in the past, a few trailers, and other odds and ends but never a vehicle.

I'm the new proud owner of a M929A2 dump truck, bought from the Fort Polk location. The listing states the throttle cable doesn't work. I was wondering if anybody who might have one of these trucks could tell me anything about the throttle cable system on the truck... I'm a very mechanically inclined person, I've worked on everything under the sun from ATVs to Dozers to Trucks so I'm sure I can make something work... but I would bet you guys could give me some priceless advice!

I plan on driving this truck off the location, but I will probably have to make more than one trip to get it going unless one of ya'll might can pull off a miracle by saying something like "oh yea just reinsert the wobbling bracket into the widget holder and it'll work fine, it happens all the time on those models".

What I'm looking for is....

1. What type of system is it? simple old school throttle cable with a return spring?

2. Has anyone ever replaced one of these cables and might have a suggestion as to what I can buy to replace it with?

3. Any other advice at all!!

Thanks to everyone again for the information!!

David Smith

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will have a solid shaft for the foot throttle and a cable for the hand throttle so that's minor if that's all that's wrong with it. There's quite a few things to check before driving one off the lot and going down the highway. I usually haul them home and check them out before putting them on the road especially if your not familiar with these trucks.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The throttle cable is a simple push pull cable. Primarily used to hold rpm for pto. Won't be needed to drive the truck.

Member jeebsinker is close by to Fort Polk. He can recover for you and then you can pick up at your convenience not GL. He might have a cable? If not plenty of folks parting trucks. Personally, I have never even used mine but I have a cargo with no winch or pto.

Linda is great at Ft. Polk if you go.

Welcome to the madness of 5 ton :)

Hawssie

I just bought a m936a2 and drove it home 350 miles. And my throttle pedal kind of sticks down and doesn't instantly come back up. I looked at it quickly today and it seems to be the kick down cable for the trans that is binding slightly. Yours maybe having the same problem, and sticking down. Mine wasn't bad enough to really effect the drive ability, but you may want to bring some lubrication spray and an extra spring as well that you could use if your problem is related to a non return problem. The pedal is pretty soft on mine and probably could use a stronger return spring as well.

dsmith006

Thanks so much for the info! It's going to be about a 170 mile journey for me. I've picked up from there plenty of times, but not enough to know their names yet! They've always been super nice to me when i've been there though. I've read a bunch of the horror stories on here about bent driveshafts, and all those sorts of things, so I'm planning on making one trip to diagnose everything and a second to drive it home. If theres too many things wrong to safely drive it home I can get it picked up if need to. I've got a few spare drive shafts i plan on bringing, along with a truck bed full of all sorts of return springs, tools and things. I've got plenty of buddies that live along the route i'm taking so I can always make a pit stop or two if I need to. I've also already got insurance on it from my insurance company for the trip home.

Do you know if you're supposed to have a CDL to drive these trucks? The guy coming with me has a CDL and I'll just let him drive it if that's what it requires.

That's great news about the throttle being a rod instead of a cable, I was somewhat skeptical they would use a cable for the primary throttle anyway, but I didn't even think about them having a hand throttle for the pto.

Thanks again for the welcoming and information!!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In La specifically, I have asked LSP and local sheriffs, & Pd. Asked over 10 people and you guessed "got almost 10 different answers".

Bottom line I hold a LA "d" and most leo tell me I am ok since registered as a former military vehicle ( are you familiar with LA lifetime stencil instead of B plate?) not commercial, and not for hire. They also told me they would never look at my vehicle as privately owned and lets face it, it ain't getting a speeding ticket :) I never stop at a weigh station and no one hassles me. During hurricanes they smile at me and think I am La guard.
http://dpsweb.dps.louisiana.gov/omv...93b8b938b2da57ef862564af00690bf3?OpenDocument

Now, all that being said a dumper will probably attract more interest as commercial and for hire than my cargo rag top. Depends on how you are going to use it?

Most trucks are driven or low boy to Ft. Polk. I have not seen much forklift damage in any previews. Linda loaded my m105 on my durango with a forklift so I did not need to lower crank due to height diff. Let me tell you, She is **** good on a lift. Best operator I have seen and I ran a NAPA distribution center for 3 years and saw quite some bozos on machines....

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not familiar with the a2 but some basics that apply to all.

Bring all tools necessary to change tire, triangles, and fire extinguisher. Assume nothing will be in truck.
Extra diesel to start truck- Assume it is empty. Having extra fuel filters would be good. Bring both spin on and cartridge unless you know specifically which one you have. (A2 can have either set up?) Know how to prime, bring can of ether
Check all tires air pressure and have gladhand hose to refill. If flat on front, Pull tire or rotate to back. Good chance a flat that sat a long time will blow on highway.
Bring good batteries. Slaving marginal batteries and running them can cook Alternator. Batteries are cheaper than Alt! Ask me how I know :-(
Check fan belt and have a spare serpentine belt for A2.
Check all lights and bring spare bulbs. Read -10Tm to learn how everything works and especially light switch if you have never seen a mv.
check fluid levels for oil, tranny, coolant, power stg, check pumpkins / axles for leaks
Bring windex and paper towels to clean windows. Razor to scrape paint / stickers on windshield.
Roll of duct tape for all scenarios :)
After starting, Do air brake test to check brakes.

I hope this helps. maybe more that I missed at the moment.

formflier

Very helpful. Thanks for the quick reply.

My situation is that we are using a m929a2 every couple days. Seems to be working great and we want to keep it that way!!!

So..any maintenance suggestions or things to watch for would be appreciated.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very helpful. Thanks for the quick reply.

My situation is that we are using a m929a2 every couple days. Seems to be working great and we want to keep it that way!!!

So..any maintenance suggestions or things to watch for would be appreciated.
Never thought I would say this, but the TM's go indepth about maintenance frequency for everything requiring maintenance.

formflier

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that in addition to what TMs say...practical tips. Places where the manuals understated the importance of something. Or something where it is really helpful or important to do something more often that is required/recommended by the TM.

Maybe another way of looking at it...trying not to "relearn" someone else's expensive lesson!!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one lesson I have failed to learn timely....

Remembering to turn off the battery Switch. Since it was my first exposure to mv, I have left the battery switch on and drained my batteries more than once :-( since it is different than a civy vehichle.

Also make sure the proper shutdown sequence to keep the ABS electronics happy.

Other personal experience is to keep the tank at least 1/3+ full. I lost prime once and it was a real XZ$%K to prime and start truck.

dsmith006

Thanks!!

Thanks so much for all of the information and help!!! I was able to pull up, do a few checks and drive off with no problems!!!

The trip home was almost uneventful... until... I had a full tank of diesel in the left tank and about 1/2 in the right tank. I swapped to the left tank to finish the drive home after the right was down to about 1/3. I drove for about 60 miles and all of the sudden.... wah wah wah I ran out of diesel! Turns out the switch never swapped to the left tank! Luckily I had brought 10 gallons of diesel along, and with about 10 minutes of priming on the side of the road, I was driving again!

I've hauled probably 20 loads of dirt already with it and absolutely love it! There was a TM in the cab of the truck too!

IMG_6967.jpg

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks so much for all of the information and help!!! I was able to pull up, do a few checks and drive off with no problems!!!

The trip home was almost uneventful... until... I had a full tank of diesel in the left tank and about 1/2 in the right tank. I swapped to the left tank to finish the drive home after the right was down to about 1/3. I drove for about 60 miles and all of the sudden.... wah wah wah I ran out of diesel! Turns out the switch never swapped to the left tank! Luckily I had brought 10 gallons of diesel along, and with about 10 minutes of priming on the side of the road, I was driving again!

I've hauled probably 20 loads of dirt already with it and absolutely love it! There was a TM in the cab of the truck too!

View attachment 485792
Did you change the switch at the dash thinking it changes the tanks? It only changes the fuel gauge, switch at the left side of the seat changes the fuel draw in case you didn't realize it.

dsmith006

REALLY NOW... tell me more about this switch you speak of... because I never saw it... and YES I thought the switch changed tanks as well as gauges!!!

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Left side on the floor next to the drivers seat physically changes which tank you're drawing from. Switch on the dash changes which tank gauge is reading. Don't forget to switch them in unison or you're back in the same boat running out of fuel. Another thing that makes you go WTF. Why wasnt it incorporated into one switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks