• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1991 M998 Upgrade Build

parklandtrans

All,
where do you suggest the best location for the Aux. ground strap be located, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to install a secondary one as well depending on additional electrical equipment installed..right..?
parklandtrans..

cruzinz28

Well, I finally found some time to work on the Driver seat upgrade. Used the original upgraded base and installation kit for the install. If I ever want to invest in the actual commander seats to make it an official seat upgrade I can.

Like others have said before me, removing the original seat with all the rivets into the body is basically a nightmare!! Got it done though. Next upgrades should be the tachometer and possibly the half rear doors.

Action - As for the clearance of the passengers knees to the heater, I have about five people of difference heights and builds use the passenger seat to check out clearance to the heater. So far the closest someone has been was about 4" from their knees to the heater. I may utilize the the slider that originally came on the seats I am using so this can be adjustable. It will just take dome time to totally disassemble the original seat base to get to the parts I need.

Attachments

cruzinz28

February Update

Its been a while since I posted any updates, so here is everything I have been working on this winter. Most everything is mocked up and in early spring I give everything a coat of paint and do the final installs and any wiring that is needed.

* Rear Half Doors - Installed
* All LED Lighting Installed
* Tachometer - Installed and Functional
* GPS Mount - Installed as Cell Phone Holder
* Hood Mounted Tool Rack - Ready to paint
* Rear Wrecker Light - Mocked up, need to make final pipe cuts and paint
* Strobe/Convoy Light - Mocked up and ready for paint
* Switch Panel - Template Made and being welded up
* Winch - Ready for Paint
* Upgraded Brush Guard - Ready for Install
* Fording Kit - (Not pictured) Intake Extension Installed and Exhaust Extension Ready to install

IMG_2108.jpgIMG_2111.jpgIMG_2614.jpgIMG_2710.jpgIMG_2712.jpgIMG_2714.jpgIMG_2718.jpgIMG_2719.jpg

I utilized two rear antenna mounts to install my Rear Wrecker Light and Strobe/Convoy Light. Wrecker light is pictured at its highest extension and will normally be down flush with the top of the antenna mount. On/Off Switch is for Wrecker light, Warning Switch is for the Strobe/Convoy Light and the Dual On?off Switch will work my Armor Lights for Back-up lights and the other side may be used for auxiliary fans for cooling. Vic-1 Radio is ready to install too... just haven't got there yet. Still waiting on my lead to pan out for a R-524 Radio to mount in the cab too.

Another Ahab

Its been a while since I posted any updates, so here is everything I have been working on this winter.
* Switch Panel - Template Made and being welded up

View attachment 666494

On/Off Switch is for Wrecker light, Warning Switch is for the Strobe/Convoy Light and the Dual On?off Switch will work my Armor Lights for Back-up lights and the other side may be used for auxiliary fans for cooling. Vic-1 Radio is ready to install too... just haven't got there yet. Still waiting on my lead to pan out for a R-524 Radio to mount in the cab too.
I don't recall ever seeing that particular switch before; where did you find that dual-rocker switch?

cruzinz28

Duly noted on the location of the fording switch. For now my truck will only have the intake and exhaust extension. I never forded deep enough to use the full Marine Corps kit I installed on my M35, and I will probably never ford deep enough water in this truck to utilize the full kit so I basically went for the look of the fording kit, but not full function.

The rocker switch is a Cole Hersey #58506-07. They also make one that is a dual on/off ticket switch in the same configuration. Both eBay finds.

cruzinz28

Well, progress has been slow this spring with work, but I found a little time to post some updated pictures. First big change is that the truck is now a 4-Door and my girls love that we get to all drive together and that is just about every weekend to either get lunch or ice cream.

The other pictures here are of the beginning/mock up phase of my radio installation. I'm still one control box short of the full VIC-1 setup, not a big deal, and I still need to take possession of the KY-57 Encryption boxes as well. I still need to pick a location for my R442 Speaker and the driver control box. More pictures to come for sure.

IMG_3019.jpg01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg

parklandtrans

Looks absolutely awesome....this is also one of my projects to be completed this spring/summer. Have everything for the Vic1 intercom set up but am short the large radio,have R442 already installed and antenna wire strung to new antennas.
any source for the large radio..?..I know Recon Defense has rebuilt units starting at $800.00..when the have a production run. These are beautiful radios these guys produce but just a bit pricey...!!
one question: how did you come about determining the location of the intercom stations..? I have never seen them located in that spot, I am going to mount my rear boxes either on the B pillar or on the C pillar in between the 2 rear seats. My thought on that was if it's up and out of the way, running of the cables between the boxes will be out of the way as well and also opens the opportunity to hang headsets pretty much anywhere out of the way. I also believe this will put the majority or all of the cables out of harms way by following the pillars down and running all cables that are going forward to be run on each side of the tunnel under the insulation. Again, this is a working theory and a project in the works and evolving every step of the way..!!!
Will try to post as progress is made.

cruzinz28

Monday I was off work and I was able to work on the truck a little. I mounted the MX777 surge suppressor to protect my radios and my intercom system. After that I was able to finally install the X-Door window rollers as well replace some of the rivets that supported the window track. What a difference in rattling!

FYI Kascar does have the rollers for sale, but I think they were like $3 each I decided to have some made at my friends fabrication company. The only thing I would change is I should have had them made a little thicker to tighten up the window in the track.

This weekend I should have the entire radio and intercom assembly reinstalled and functioning. I'm only missing the lower section of one radio antenna and the two KY-57 boxes. The KY-57's are obviously demilled and for display only and an easy plug in play once I get them in hand.
X-Door Rollers.jpg

cruzinz28

Radio Install Update

Well, After installing the wrong power cable last weekend, I pulled everything back out and installed the right one this weekend and then put everything back. Below are a few pictures of the install. I am short two 2'-0" CX-4723 cables to make the VIC-1 fully functional along with I need one more headset. I also ran the antenna wires all the way to the back as well.

Boarding ladder used for humping equipment and tools in and out of the truck.
IMG_3233.jpgIMG_3234.jpgIMG_3235.jpg

Pictures from around the Cab showing the install.
IMG_3252.jpgIMG_3253.jpgIMG_3254.jpgIMG_3251.jpgIMG_3250.jpgIMG_3249.jpgIMG_3248.jpg

Old Antenna Wire pulled from the truck. It appears they were installing radio equipment up until at least 2007.
IMG_3261.jpgIMG_3262.jpg

I do have a MX777 Surge suppressor mounted horizontally behind the Amplifier that is fed from the battery and then an individual power cable to the VIC-1 and then to the Radios. I also have all the cables to hook up the KY-57's to the radio bases as well. You can also see that I mounted the tachometer on the side of the radio enclisure and then mounted a DAGAR mount on the top that holds my iPhone perfectly.

cruzinz28

The ladder is a MX3543/G. They can get pretty salty price wise but I snagged one pretty cheap. Works darn near perfect for the truck. as you can see the pole has its own storage position when not in use and it had cables that tie off to the safety chain loops to secure it during use. So in a long winded answer, all original.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpgNice-Used-Boarding-Ladder-for-CUCV-Military-Truck-_57.jpg

cruzinz28

Progress 7/29/2017

Progress contiunued this weekend on the truck since Saturday was a rain out for outside activity. Per my kids, as long as it was drive-able for our weekly ice cream trip into town Sunday night daddy could work on the truck.

I got the frame extensions, winch plate/bumper, and brush-guard installed. Guess I'm close to not being able to identify it as a M998 anymore. Roller Fair-lead and winch still need to be sanded and painted before install. I also need to source the quick pins for the brush guard as well. I have temporary pins in place for now.

Fording exhaust stack was finally installed to match the intake snorkel. Takes a little getting use to the exhaust noise being up above and behind you.

Also, 1-Patriot-of-Many asked for a close up of the tach install on my truck. I purchased the Autometer 3" Gauge Cup Mount, I belive part number 5204, to mount the tach. The gauge is deeper than the cup, but I just painted the back of the gauge black to match and it blended in. Autometer part number 3209 might be a viable option as well for those looking to mount their tachs.

Last but not least, the reason I get the enjoy my truck every weekend!

IMG_3340.jpgIMG_3342.jpgIMG_3344.jpgIMG_3346.jpgIMG_3263.jpgIMG_3266.jpg

cruzinz28

Well... As of last check... The oldest wants mommies 4-door Rubicon, and the youngest that you can see in my side mirror switches between mommies 5.9 Cummings or daddy's 52 M38. My biggest worry is the lines of boys that will be lined up down the block after they drive any of our "toys" to school the first time

Another Ahab

Well... As of last check... The oldest wants mommies 4-door Rubicon, and the youngest that you can see in my side mirror switches between mommies 5.9 Cummings or daddy's 52 M38. My biggest worry is the lines of boys that will be lined up down the block after they drive any of our "toys" to school the first time
You and Mama will teach your young ladies to be smart and strong, no need to "worry" or fear the boys. Just let them all play second fiddle with envy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks