• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1991 Suburban front grill on a CUCV

DrJekl

I received my wiring harness that puts the lights on direct battery power rather than through the switch and puts all four lights on when on bright. Easy install and it works just fine.

That darned horn is still jacked up so back to work on it! The diode was shorted out so I pulled it out. The horn still runs all the time. This sucks!

jdeoliveira74

I received my wiring harness that puts the lights on direct battery power rather than through the switch and puts all four lights on when on bright. Easy install and it works just fine.

That darned horn is still jacked up so back to work on it! The diode was shorted out so I pulled it out. The horn still runs all the time. This sucks!
how much what the harness. I want to do mine as i replaced my headlights with upgraded ones and I know the switch cannot handle the load!

DrJekl

I think I paid too much at $90 shipped but the guy did a very good job. All connections soldered, heat shrink, and covered. Everything properly labeled and ready to install. he said he usually has the ceremic head lamp plugs but could not find them for the 91 style lamp.

DrJekl

Well, my old Gear Vendors unit smoked the reverse clutch. I found out the unit is 20 years old and it was going to run about $450 in parts or $950 for a new one. Bought it, they threw in the deep sump pan as a "military discount". It arrived yesterday and I put it in there today. Works great. Now I am going to get these headlamps adjusted properly and try out my new harness on the road. Four lights on bright from the battery should allow for me to see fifty feet or so out don't you think?

wallew,

Scrambled hit it but the wiring is basically the same concept in a two and four head lamp system. Each lamp in the four has two pins, a two lamp system has three. Basically a ground and a power lead for low and one for high. In the four lamps, each light will have a ground and a power lead. Low beam is on all the time (when the lights are on), and high beam comes on when you turn it on. Same thing but different if you will.

I am glad I posted this! Scrambled has solved all of my problems and answered all of the questions I have on my list to answer. I was going to get the two wiring diagrams and compare them next but it sounds to me like it is time to start cutting!

I washed the core support tonight. Sorry but I did not take photos. I assumed most of you guys know what that looks like. I won't take photos of the painting either. That is about the same no matter if you are tagging your neighbor's house or painting a core support, rattle cans are pretty straight forward.

I am thinking about going back and grabbing the GMC grill! I'll just make this into a GMC to go with my GMC tail gate I recently picked up! All I'll need is the GMC dash plate and we're good. But, then again, I don't want to be the cause of a riot and a string of heart attacks!

Hahah, GMC stands for Got My Cucv.I think it fits perfectly.As for an alternative method for wiring harnesses gm did offer a stacked 4 headlight system for these trucks those harness would make great donors for the 89-91 suburban headlight upgrade. all you have to do is put the pigtails on and you can buy them seperately now i got lucky and cleaned out our local gm dealership parts bins so i have brand new gm pigtails.:beer:Thats what im doing to my civy gmc as i did the headlight swap with a 91 gmc suburban full front clip.

Last edited:

DrJekl

One correction on my post is the four light front (90-91 anyway) is two lights on at a time. Two low beam (outer), two high beam (inner) in stock form. Throw in the relay kit to run from the batteries, you get four lights on high.

As for the wiring harness, you will have to cut and splice anyway as the lights use a different socket on the 90-91 front and it is not much work. I had a harness from an 80s four head lamp type front and went with the CUCV plug and partial harness into the 90-91 front anyway.

DrJekl

One correction on my post is the four light front (90-91 anyway) is two lights on at a time. Two low beam (outer), two high beam (inner) in stock form. Throw in the relay kit to run from the batteries, you get four lights on high.

As for the wiring harness, you will have to cut and splice anyway as the lights use a different socket on the 90-91 front and it is not much work. I had a harness from an 80s four head lamp type front and went with the CUCV plug and partial harness into the 90-91 front anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks