• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1992 M998 2.56 front differential losing teeth. Best options?

kestrelnh

When I got my truck two years ago, it was delivered without oil in the front diff. I filled it up with oil and drove it until now, changing the oil a couple times at the very beginning, and then each year. There were always shavings on the magnetic plug, but this year, there was a gear tooth on the magnetic drain plug, so it's time to do something about it.

Because the diff was without oil for some unknown period of time, I really don't trust any of the internal components (Torsen, ring and pinion, bearings, etc.). I'm 99% certain that this is a 2.56 differential, and those don't seem plentiful on the auction sites.

Opinions on my best option form a cost/time perspective moving forward? I'm thinking:

• Source a new or rebuilt 2.56 front diff (anyone know where?)
  • Buy a 2.72 front diff, and have a shop replace the ring/pinion with 2.56 ratio
  • Buy ALL the wearable internal components that may have been damaged, and have a shop rebuild it

I feel I'm capable of replacing the diff, but probably not of rebuilding it myself.

Thanks all!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure to wash out the axle housing, both diff location and tubes to wheels really well. You do not need any left over particles getting into your replacement gear set.

kestrelnh

I called around locally today, and none of the reputable shops will touch this with a 10 foot pole without sourcing all the parts themselves. I understand their perspective, but from a cost standpoint I might as well buy a new or rebuilt 2.56 diff somewhere that specializes in HMMWV gear. I'll post on the parts wanted section here. Anyone know of a source for 2.56 rebuilt diffs?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks